25

"Carl. I love you."

He jerks his head towards me quickly, his mouth hung open in shock. "I'm.. I'm sorry I didn't say it sooner I just... I didn't know how-" He cut me off by picking me up by my thighs and slamming his lips onto mine. I smile against his lips and slowly let my fingers find their way into their hair, we both pull away gasping for air. He holds me there not saying anything, he stares at me in awe before speaking.

"I love you too." He whispers before placing his forehead on mine, he chuckles quietly to himself. "You know I was starting to think you didn't feel the same way. And after I got shot and got back on my feet you began to distance yourself from me, so I thought it was over." I grab his face in my hands and pull him back so he could look into my eyes.

"Carl that couldn't be further from the truth. That night I told you I loved you cause I thought I lost you. I was too scared to say it again, because I thought you wouldn't believe me." I say smiling at him, I bring him in for one more kiss before pulling away and jumping down from him arms.

"Do you want to go out for a walk today?" Carl asks as he turns to face the mirror and starts to clean his wound. I peek over his shoulder and nod my head. He smiles at me before wrapping his new, fresh bandage around his head.

"I have to go on a run with Glenn tomorrow, so let's spend the day together." I reply as he turns back around to face me, his hands find their way to my hips as he shows interest in my talking. "We are going to some town he found, I guess we are running low on food again, or ammo." I say sighing, I lead my hand up to brush my hair back from my face.

Carl nods his head before letting go of me and making his way towards the bathroom door. I stay behind him as we make our way towards the armory, he stays silent the entire walk there. I nudge him with my shoulder, before looking up at him.

"You okay?" I ask, he looks down at me sighing before looking back up, using his hand to adjust his hat back onto his head.

"I just hate when you leave without me. I feel like I'm the only one who can protect you. So, when I'm not with you.. I don't know, I guess I just worry too much." He breathes out before looking at me for any reaction. I smile while a blush creeps onto my face, even though I've known Carl for a few years he can still make me blush like crazy.

"I promise I'll be okay. Glenn is tough and quick on his feet, and so am I. It'll be a quick run I'll be back in no time." I turn around and come face to face with the armory doors, Carl opens the door holding it open for me to pass through. I walk over and grab my hand gun placing it in my holster, Carl grabs a few other weapons before nodding at me letting me know we can go.

We make our way out and down the old familiar dirt path leading us to the gates, I groan as I see a mullet coming into clear view. Great it's Eugene. Can't wait to be asked a thousand questions just so we can leave.

"Hey Eugene." I say earning the mullet heads attention. His face was serious just as always as he looks Carl and I up and down. He stands awkwardly in front of the gate, his arms straight by his side like he is some kind of soldier.

"Where are you two kids going?" His voice was flat, as if he has never felt any kind of emotion in his lifetime. Well besides fear, since he is kind of a pussy. I sigh and unfold my arms while staring at him, I bring my hand up and point my fingers towards the woods.

"Just on a walk Eugene." I mumble bringing my hand back to my side.

"You know it's not safe for kids like you to be out there. Doesn't matter how many weapons you have." He pauses as he looks behind him then back at us. "For that matter I can't let you guys go out."

"If I recall, I think I saved your ass a few times Eugene when you couldn't even hold a knife correctly. I'm sure I can handle myself better out there than you can." He stares at me, no emotions behind his eyes. He slowly nods his head and opens the gates to us.

"I stand corrected. Have a nice walk." I push my lips together and nod giving him an awkward thumbs up before walking past him. Once the gates close behind us I can hear Carl chuckling, I turn around and raise my eyebrow at him.

"What?" I say leaning on my left leg a bit as I stare him up and down. He shrugs his shoulders while trying to contain his laughter.

"Eugene sure is something isn't he?" I giggle and nod my head before turning around and walking, I hear Carls footsteps pick up pace as he gets beside me. He holds my hand and basically drags me into the woods on a trail he had found yesterday.

We walk and walk till my legs feel numb. "Carl let's just go home I am so tired." I complain. I hear no response from Carl, but my face meets contact with his back as he abruptly stops in front of me. I hear rustling in the bushes above me and Carl seems frozen, he must see something I don't.

"Go home." He mumbles. I widen my eyes and shake my head. Moving to stand beside him, but his arm pushes me back. "Go home now."

"Carl what is it? What are you trying to keep me from seeing?" I push his arm away from me and move beside him, I notice a walker moving closer into view, I start to wonder why Carl was hiding me from it until I see it's face. Or well 𝒉𝒆𝒓 face.

"Deanna?"