Maybe it's like The Boy Who Cried Wolf...

Suddenly, the two were disrupted from their work by Four's doorbell ringing.

Four checked the cameras and pressed a button to let the person in.

"Who is it?" Firey asked.

"Another agent, don't worry," Four responded.

They walked out to the main hall to greet the agent, wondering what they wanted.

Firey was surprised to see Tree standing there but considering how his life was lately, why should anything surprise him?

"Hey Tree, what's up?" Firey greeted.

"Don't what's up me, you lunatic!" Tree yelled, clearly pissed off.

"Calm down, Agent, what's wrong?" Four asked with an authoritative tone.

"What's wrong? What's wrong?!" Tree was full of contempt and frustration.

"What's wrong is that you're letting this idiot kill himself for no reason!"

"Tree relax, this plan is going to work, it'll end this stupid case once and for all," Firey tried to reason.

"No, no, no there are so many other ways to do this, this is not one of them!" Tree shook Firey's shoulders violently.

"I don't know what the hell is going through your head but I know damn well that this is just plain insanity!"

"I have nothing left Tree, there's no point for me to keep living," Firey retorted.

"Leafy told me everything you idiot, I contacted her after I heard what you were trying to do, you can't just leave her like that again,"

"But this time I'll actually be dead, she won't ever have to worry about me coming back again, she can live her life!"

"You have a son you stupid twat, are you really going to die after learning that you actually do have a reason to keep going?"

"You can't just leave Leafy with Grove, when you know full well he's your kid too, it's so selfish,"

"You aren't doing something nobel, you aren't doing this to save people, you're doing this because you're a coward who can't face his problems and now you're taking the extreme way out and trying to make yourself feel better by justifying it,"

Firey trembled as he felt a rage build up.

"Shut up, shut up! You have no idea why I'm doing, don't dissect it like you know what's going through my head," Firey snapped as he shoved Tree away.

"You don't know what's in my head, you have no idea what my life is like, I just through shit and it never ends up being worth it, let me do what I need to do!"

"Firey, stop acting like a child, as a matter of fact, I do know what's going through your head and it's insane, I'm not going to let you die when you have a good life waiting for you if you just made some good choices and actually spoke to people," Tree exclaimed as.

"You just don't get it, I don't have a good life waiting for me, I've been telling myself that I'm doing all of this to get a good life and look where I am," Firey gestured to himself as tears formed in the corner of his eyes.

"Firey, I do understand, I promise I do, I threw away a good life with the people I love and now I have no one and the only person I do have has given up on me, what you're doing is just a stupid version of what I did," Tree said in a calmer tone.

"Firey, I want you to stop and think for a moment about what this will mean, you're just hurting people, this isn't what you really want," Tree tried to reason.

Firey stopped for a moment, forcing himself not to cry in front of the two people standing there.

"Tree, I have thought about it, I've thought about it for a long time," Firey sighed.

"This is what I want, Tree, there's no point for me to keep trying,"

Tree's expression saddened and from the corner of his eye Firey saw Four with a worried look on his face, Firey felt ashamed.

"I don't... like being alive, my thoughts are sad, my days are sad, everything around me is sad, everyday just repeats over and over, I don't want to keep doing it," Firey sighed.

"There's really nothing going for me now, maybe I had Leafy and Grove but I burnt that bridge and I don't think she would want to try fix it,"

"Just let me do this Tree, please,"

Tree looked at him with hatred and pity, Firey looked away, unable to hold his gaze.

"Can you stay here for a minute?" Firey asked as he walked to the guest room.

Firey walked upstairs and went to the bedside table, opening the bottom drawer and taking out an envelope with Leafy's name on it.

He got downstairs and walked up to Tree, holding out the envelope for him to take.

"I want you to give this to Leafy when you find out I'm dead, only do it when you're certain that I'm dead," Firey requested.

"No, you can give it to her yourself, you're gonna make it out of this alive," Tree insisted.

They looked at each other, Tree would never forget the sad, broken look in Firey's eyes or the tears that he was trying so hard to hide.

Tree knew he didn't actually want this.

Tree sighed deeply as he took the letter from Firey's hand, placing it carefully in his pocket.

"Thank you, Tree," Firey smiled wanly.

"I still think you're being selfish," Tree muttered as he turned and left.

"I think I agree, Tree,"

Firey watched as he walked down the steps of the porch and got into his car, Tree didn't look back at Firey once but Firey knew there was a mutual understanding and a mutual dislike between them.

But he also knew that they had a bond that would remain forever unspoken, a bond formed by mutual hurt, suffering and loneliness.

Firey knew Tree would give Leafy the note, despite his lamenting about him being selfish, he trusted him and would fulfil his request.

Tree was a good person.

Firey was not.

=============================

If I was dying on my knees, you would be the one to rescue me and if you were drowned at sea I'd give you my lungs so you could breathe.

I've got you brother, I've got you brother.

I hope you liked that chapter.

XOXO
LeafCake