Chapter 7. Arlam Village

In a lush green forest, a bright streak of blue and red could be seen speeding its way towards a town not far from Roswaal's mansion. This of course, was Arlam Village. After hearing that there was a nearby town not far from the mansion, Subaru wanted to go check it out, after all, he didn't like staying in one place for so long. He was just free spirited like that.

Zarestia, his contracted spirit decided to stay behind in his room. And of course, Subaru did think of inviting Rem to come with him since there was the possibility of her needing to go there to buy new groceries or something. But Emilia and Zarestia instantly denied it. They still didn't let their little stunt from earlier slide, even though Subaru told them many times that they wouldn't be stupid enough to try it again...or so he hoped.

Emilia especially was against his carefree attitude about the whole situation as he thought back to their conversation the day prior.

"Subaru...why did you forgive them so easily?"

"Huh? What do you mean Emilia-tan-?!"

Subaru tried playing dumb to the question but Emilia cut him off as she had a stern look on her face.

"You know very well what I mean! Rem and Ram...they tried to kill you! How...How can you not be wary of them and just be alright with them being around you?! Do you not have any regard for your own safety?! Is that it?!"

Emilia shouted as Subaru stared at her in shocked silence. This girl reminded him way too much of someone he used to know in his past lives.

"Emilia, that's not it...I figured it was the best option if I tried to get along with them. So that way, there wouldn't be any bad blood between me and them. And besides, they wouldn't be able to kill me if they tried. And Tia wouldn't let that happen either."

Subaru stated as Zarestia nodded at his words.

"But still, how can you just forgive them so easily?!"

"I didn't really forgive them, I'm tolerating them until they can actually earn my trust. Like I said Emilia, I have had many enemies in my past that tried to kill me, some became my friends while others didn't. I want to give them another chance to prove to me that they really regret their actions and actually want to be friends with me this time. If they do, they do. And if they don't, they don't. It's their life and choices, I'm not going to judge, nor will I really care."

Subaru stated as he thought back to Surge and Scourage. He even tried to befriend Metal at one point.

"The point is, I never let my guard down around them, if they do anything, then I won't hold back. I only gave them a warning, it's their choice is they don't heed it. Won't be my problem when you lose a few maids."

Subaru stated nonchalantly.

"I...I see..."

Emilia looked down, contemplating Subaru's words before looking at him again.

"J-Just please be safe! Promise me that at least!"

Subaru stared at her before he sighed.

"Alright...if that's what'll calm your nerves then fine."

Subaru wrapped his pinkie around Emilia's pinkie.

"I promise you, I will make sure to take care of myself more. I pinkie promise."

"Thank you Subaru."

Emilia smiled at him.

As Subaru recalled that memory, he couldn't help but smile a bit.

"I just hope Emilia can come to trust those two again. And besides, I have a village to get to, so let's kick it up a notch!"