Maron stared at me weirdly for a while before he spoke, "So, it's true..." He smirked, raising an eyebrow. His pissed-off aura vanished into thin air and replaced with an amusement visible in his eyes.

"What do you mean? What's true?" I asked, confused. Maron shook his head without answering, his smirk deepening.

I seriously hated it when he did that—first, pass such remarks, and then refuse to say anything...

"Remind me who the heck told me to take you jerk as my best friend." I stated, annoyed by his actions.

Maron laughed heartily and pointed his index finger at me. Ah, yes! I was the one.

"You know what, get out of my office. Why are you even here? It's Sunday!" I said, already tired, and thanks to my new assistant and this jerk, I was even more pissed off now.

Ignoring my dismissal of his presence in my office, Maron leisurely took a seat in front of me and answered. "I came here for you, of course, I missed you!"

A sudden urge to vomit arose within me as Maron's cringy words got through my head. Expecting my reaction, Maron burst into another laugh, making me scowl at him. I picked up a stapler from my desk, intending to throw it at his laughing ass.

"Okay, okay! I will stop," Maron raised his hands in surrender and turned serious after a while, not before suffocating himself with his maniac laugh.

"Bro, I hired her because she is really good at her job, and you know, she has become an amazing designer now. I saw her designs, and believe me when I say they're magnificent." I opened my mouth to speak, but Maron raised his hand, nodding his head, "I know, I know. You would say that I should have hired her in the design department, but I think she is needed here for now. Hiring an executive assistant isn't easy, especially when they know a lot of the company's confidential information. You know it's hard to find people we can trust, and I know you don't trust her, but I do, and I believe she would be perfect for this role," Maron explained.

I furrowed my eyebrows, knowing that he was right, but what's the point of all this when I didn't trust my executive assistant?

"Before you say anything, just know that I won't leave until you keep her here," Maron spoke before I could say anything, stubbornly making himself comfortable.

Seriously?!

"Fine! Just leave, I won't fire her," I replied, tired of arguing further. However, my decision not to fire her didn't mean she wouldn't resign on her own accord.

"That's my friend. You just saved me and yourself from a long argument," Maron beamed and stood up. "I just came to meet you before I return to Singapore for a few days. My dad is causing trouble again," he explained.

"Is it serious?" I asked, genuinely concerned. Maron and his father had been in conflict for a few years, as he didn't want to inherit the family business, but his father had other plans.

"I don't know the details yet. Maybe it's just one of his tactics to bring me back. I will call you later," he shrugged before heading to the door to leave.

He stopped midway, turned around, and glanced back at me. "One thing, buddy! Drop the idea of whatever you're planning to do with Elysia because trust me, if you do something now that might hurt her somehow, you will regret it the most in the future. You don't know anything about her, so don't judge her just because she was your ex's best friend. She did nothing wrong to you, and whatever happened back then wasn't her fault. In fact, she was the most innocent among all of us," he stated before leaving without waiting for a response.

Sitting there motionless, I stared at the closed office door. Why was Maron so protective of her? And why would I regret anything later?

I shook my head and sighed. I hope he won't be eating his words later. Maron was naive; he didn't understand how vile or manipulative people could be.