Volume 1: The True Meaning of B Class

A couple of weeks had passed. This class was very well-behaved, with only a few minor behavioral infractions throughout the time.

I was chatting a bit with Ichinose before class started. Hoshinomiya-sensei was late, as usual.

"Morning class!", our teacher exclaimed as she walked through the door, holding a stack of paper, "Got a surprise for all of you!"

She distributed the papers on everybody's desk.

It read: Practice Exam.

The class groaned collectively.

"I know, I know, tests are no fun," she said, "But don't worry, this won't be reflected on your report cards. This is just for the school to gauge your abilities."

"Now, begin!"

There were four questions each for five subjects, making for twenty questions total. Each was worth five points, making the entire test worth 100 points.

I breezed through the whole thing, but I noticed that there was a steep spike in difficulty from question 17  to 18-20. No normal high school freshman would be able to answer them. Oh well, still easy for me.

When I was done, I did a quick scan around the room. A lot of my classmates were scratching their heads in confusion. I'd be confused too if I were them. Why would they put questions like those on the first test we take at this school?

Guess I'll find out when results are released...

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

It was finally May 1st. The first thing I noticed when I woke up was that I didn't get another 100,000 points. I was given 64,000, making my new total, 103,729.

The second thing I noticed was that some students seem to have gotten even less.

I entered the elevator with two brown haired boys.

"Damn school forgot to give points today!", one said.

"I have nothing left! I'm gonna have to eat the free school lunch today," the other muttered.

"Something the matter?", I asked, pretending to not have heard them.

"Didn't get my points!", the second boy exclaimed, "We better be getting some extra as compensation for this inconvenience."

"Hm. That's odd," I said, "Cause I got more points today."

I turned on my phone and showed them my total.

"That's really weird," the first boy said.

"Perhaps different classes got different amounts of points? I'm in Class B, what about you?"

"Class D," they both said simultaneously.

"Our homeroom teachers will probably explain when we get to class," I said as the elevator opened, "My name's Koichi Okamoto by the way. Great to meet you both!"

"Kanji Ike," the first boy said.

"Haruki Yamauchi," the second boy said.

"You wanna exchange contacts?", I asked the two.

They accepted and we exchanged our numbers.