Chapter 54

The next day, they more or less went through the same ritual again.

"First impressions are everything," Mrs McCarthy told her husband, who tried to convince her that it was not a good idea to send the boy to school in his Sunday Best.

"He'd make a far better impression if he took that bloody scowl of his face," he argued.

All that fuzzing over his appearance made John just feel nervous, and he wasn't sure if it was that or the remnants of his concussion that had him feeling a little sick.

Horace had already left for school when Mr McCarthy had come back in to get John. John suspected that he didn't want to be seen with him, but Mrs McCarthy told her husband it was because he had been asked to help some of the other boys with their homework. He'd been doing it for a few weeks now, she told him surprised that he hadn't known about it. McCarthy didn't seem as pleased about it as his wife, or maybe he was just grouchy over having to bring John to school. John wasn't able to read him yet.

At the school, Horace's teacher was waiting for them at the bottom of the steps in front of the main entrance.

"Ah, there you are Mr McCarthy. I was waiting for you. You can leave your charge with me. I'll bring him inside," he told McCarthy decisively, "spare you the trouble," he explained when McCarthy didn't let go of John's good arm right away, even though the other man tried to take over.

"No need," McCarthy replied just as resolutely, continuing to hold onto John's left arm firmly as if they were in some sort of tug o'war, "I would like to meet his teacher," he simply told him, and when that didn't have the desired effect, and the man still did not let go of John, he said, "By all means Mr Blunt, after you, do show us the way," in a tone and with a facial expression that made the other man finally back off.

Miss Applebee's classroom was on the first floor. She must have just arrived before them, as the 40 or so children that were all at least three to four years younger than John were all busy scurrying into their seats when McCarthy and John arrived.

Miss Applebee at first ignored the newcomers until all the children were seated in an orderly fashion. She then told them to 'hush' before she turned her attention to John and McCarthy, acknowledging her colleague behind them with a respectful nod. McCarthy took off his hat and motioned John to do the same with his cab before he tried to introduce himself and John. He didn't get very far however as Mr Blunt who now seemed somewhat out of place and surplus to requirement behind them, decided to interrupt him, explaining who the boy was and where he suddenly came from and why he was put into her class and not his. Like the night before he called John a "wayward runaway orphan from the streets of New York".

Unsurprisingly Miss Applebee looked somewhat concerned about the new addition to her already far too busy classroom but didn't complaint. In fact she tried her best to look kind even when Mr Blunt proceeded to tell her that in his estimation John was a little on the slow and in all likelihood also on the wild side. He told her that if she needed a hand with him, especially in relation to his discipline she was not to hesitate to call on him. John had to lower his head to hide his contempt for the man that he had already rechristened in his head with a word that rhymed with the man's name but was so vile that not even his mother would have allowed him to use it, but allowed his brother's da use it on him all the time. John was glad when the man abruptly had to leave in the middle of his speech due to shouting coming from the corridors.

As soon as the male teacher had left everyone seemed to relax somewhat, including the children, and at last McCarthy let go of John's arm. He still did not seem ready to leave quite yet however.

"Do you have any questions Mr McCarthy. I will take good care of your," she hesitate for a moment, and then completed the sentence, "boy." She tried to sound reassuringly.