Chapter 20 - Childhood memories (NSFW)

Start from the beginning

"Huh? Yeah okay." You reply absentmindedly as Rufus suggests a day trip this weekend.

You continue to stare blankly at the large vase of fresh mandragora flowers placed on the coffee table beside you. They are very impressive in full bloom, no wonder they were Rufus' mother's favourite flower before she passed away. You tear your gaze away as you come back to your present surroundings. You are in Rufus' office as you lounge in a leather bound loveseat with an open book on your lap and Darkstar curled up at your feet. You did not catch whether or not he said where the trip will be but at your reply, Rufus smiles, nods and goes back to whatever paperwork is stacked on his desk. You feel bad you had not been listening and so decide to leave it and ask another time.

The sky outside is painted in dusk as the day draws to a close. You spent your day off alternating between reading, playing with Darkstar and daydreaming. Rufus would look up and exchange a few words with you from time to time but you find your mind up in the clouds whenever you have an idle moment to spare.

Rufus notices too as he comes to sit beside you.

"Have you finished with work?" You ask distractedly.

"Hmm. Work never ends but I think that's enough for one day." He replies decisively.

You nod and continue to play with Darkstar who had rolled onto his back with his belly up waiting for scratches. You giggle and proceed to give the hound what he is asking for.

"You know what that reminds me of?" Rufus says watching you and Darkstar, a touch of amusement in his voice.

"Hmm?" You again struggle to give him your full attention.

"It reminds me of when we were kids and would wrestle to settle our disagreements."

You give him a hollow laugh as you replay those childhood memories. You fondly cast your mind back to those carefree days where you and Rufus would play. He always kept his hard exterior whenever anyone else was around but when it was just the two of you, he did not feel the need to hide his secret, compassionate and caring side. You know Rufus is naturally a warm-hearted person and is instinctively caring towards those he cares about. It is just unfortunate that he lost his mother at such a young age and the only resemblance to family is through President Shinra who had difficulty in showing the parental love Rufus needed in those critical early years. You wonder sometimes whether Rufus' personality would be different if his father was not so hard on him and often mocked a young and impressionable Rufus in never showing any form of weakness if he was ever going to live up to the Shinra name. Such a burden on anyone would be difficult to comprehend.

You veer out of your reverie.

"Yeah I was always such a hot head when I was little... Do not say I still am now!" You catch Rufus' eye and you both chuckle. "You always cheated though cause you would just start tickling me and you know how I can't stand tickling..."

You trail off and glance sideways at Rufus, who you see is sporting a mischievous glint in his eye.

"No. Rufus. Don't you dare." You narrow your eyes suspiciously but you cannot keep the smile off your face.

In a flash, you jump up to escape but Darkstar is still unfurled on the carpet at your feet so you hesitate before you can make your next move. However, this second is all Rufus needs to lean up and wrap his arm around your waist to pull you back down heavily onto the sofa. The book in your lap falls to the floor and Darkstar is alarmed but when he sees it is his master, he relaxes back down on the carpet.

"Rufus!" You call out desperately as he pins you down and gently digs his fingers into your ribs making you cry out in laughter.

"Ruu-fuss! Sstop!" Your eyes scrunch up as you continue to laugh out loud at this sudden tickling onslaught. You buck this way and that as you try to escape but Rufus shifts on top of you making it impossible for you to move with his weight pinning you down on the soft sofa. You can hear his rare carefree laughter in between your wild cackles as he continues to tickle you.