Chapter 3

Disclaimer I don't own Harry Potter.

I walked back to the Common Room and upon coming to the Fat Lady gave the password and walked through the portrait hole. The Common Room was full of kids from years 1-7 playing different "wizard" games. I spotted Jane and Paisley sitting with Hermione and Harry, I was about to walk over when I saw Tiger and Hermione's cat Crookshanks sitting and the base of the stairs that lead to the dorms. After giving them a quick smile I went to talk to the others.

'Hey guys.' I said sitting down with them.

'Hey.' Paisley smiled.

'Sup.' Jane nodded.

'Hi, you must be Melanie, I'm Harry.' Harry stretched out his hand and I shook it. 'It's nice to meet you.'

'H-Hi Harry.' I stuttered, feeling my face redden. 'I-I'll see you later guys.' I stated then retreated upstairs and flopped on my bed. 'Nice job, idiot.' I said into my pillow.

Man I felt stupid, I just met Harry Potter and I turned into a stuttering mess! Argh! I was about to get up and grab one of my books to read when I heard someone come in and I knew who it was as soon as their foot touched the carpet.

'What do want Hermione?' I asked coldly.

'I just......... Nothing.' She replied and walked out.

Whatever, it's better that she's gone anyway, I've still got half an hour until dinner and I wanna read up on our classes for tomorrow, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Charms, Flying and Muggle Studies. Of course studying for Flying wasn't necessary, but Defence Against the Dark Arts was absolute favourite subject so that's what I studied the most. Which involved reading about how to cure werewolf bites as was our current topic in this al to fascinating subject. I also went a step further and looked at the effects of werewolf bites on both wizards and muggles.

Lycanthropy is a magical illness known to be spread by contact between saliva and blood; thus, when a transformed werewolf bites a human, the bitten will become a werewolf themselves. Most Muggles, however, will die from the extent of their injuries in the instance of a werewolf attack as noted by Professor Marlowe Forfang. If a werewolf is in human form and bites the victim, they will merely gain lupine tendencies such as a fondness for rare meat. Any bite or scratch obtained from a werewolf, whether in human or animal form, will leave permanent scars. However, the fresh wound can be sealed with a mixture of powdered silver and dittany.

Interesting, I think I might need to find out what powdered silver and dittany are, still knowing this might help with class tomorrow, perhaps I should tell my friends......... Nah, they're having fun and I wouldn't want to interrupt.

My attention was then directed to Tiger as he jumped up on my bed and sat on my lap where my book had been resting just seconds before. I patted his head and smiled with the fluffy feeling of his fur on the skin of my hand.

'Hello Tiger, come to keep me company have you?' I asked as he purred happily. 'Thanks, I love you too.' A little while later it was time to go to dinner, but before I went to the Great Hall I gave Tiger his own dinner which he was quite happy to receive. 'See you later.' I waved and went back down to the Common Room where everyone else was starting to file out onto the stairs and down to the Entrance Hall where we then went into the Great Hall and sat down at our house tables.

I sat down with my friends along with Neville Longbottom and Dean Thomas, two boys that we had most of our classes with. You've probably guessed by now that Jane and Paisley are rather social and that's true, my friends are definitely more social and out going than I am, but I suppose that's a good thing as it means I can interact with others too.