Chapter 2: A Little More About Me

Disclaimer I don't own Harry Potter

Yeah, that's right, Melanie Granger, daughter of Michael and Jean Granger and fraternal twin sister of Hermione Granger. You know, the smart, Gryffindor know it all who hangs out with Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley. Don't worry though, everyone knows about her, of course no one pays any attention to me, I'm just the spare. That's why I'm so bitter about it, ever since I can remember it's always been "Hermione can do this" or "Hermione can do that" or "look Hermione's a witch and gets to attend a special magic school". Our parents didn't even realise that the owl had been carrying two letters, I had opened and read mine first, but of course when I went to show them they had already discovered hers and they were so excited for her. I had to wait almost half an hour before I could get them to listen and tell them that I had been accepted too!

Indeed the two Granger girls had been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry a school for witches and wizards from the age of eleven right up to seventeen where we would learn magic like transfiguration, potion making, Defence Against the Dark Arts and a number of other subjects. The school itself was actually a giant castle that was enchanted so that if any "muggles" (non magic folk) found it they would only see old castle ruins with a sign saying "Do Not Enter" as magic is a secret.

None of us really knew anything about magic, as we were practically "muggles" so going to Diagon Alley was rather a shock then of course we got our wands. My sisters was 10 3/4 inch vine, dragon heartstring, while mine was a 10 inch aspen, lion blood core. Mr Olivander was surprised when the wand chose me and explained that the lion blood core was very rare and it was even rarer that it chose someone as he had given it to people to try before, but it had always rejected them.

The ride to the school on the Hogwarts Express was great (though we did have some trouble getting on to platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross, but another wizarding family showed us how) and I made a few friends as it would seem; Jane Misra and Paisley Chapman. We had talked all the way to the school and we were even sorted into the same house; Gryffindor. My sister was put in Gryffindor along with the all too famous Harry Potter and that weirdo Ronald Weasley.

I haven't actually met my sisters friends, I'm not cool enough for that, because I'm just a copy. Just a copy of my perfect sister. You'd never think that I was anything more than a shadow of her. Even the teachers treat me as if I was just a shallow two dimensional shape, while she's the smartest kid in the class! Actually I've never tried to talk to them simply because I'm kinda shy.......

You've probably realised by now that we've been here for a few weeks and to be honest this is by far the best school I've ever been to, I have friends, I can't ask to people, no one teases my about being a brainwave (can't say the same about my twin though) and who wouldn't love going to a school for witches and wizards? It really is great and I don't miss home at all, especially since I was allowed my own cat, his name's Tiger. He's a short haired ginger cat that I found at the Magical Menagerie in Diagon Alley, I called him Tiger because he has stripes of light and dark in his finer fur not to mention he thinks he's pretty tough.

Anyway, back to the real world, Jane and I walked into the Great Hall and sat down with our friends, I was about to start eating when I heard someone say my name further up the table. My head shot up and my eyes darted to my sister. My suspicions were right, she was talking to her friends about me, despite the amount of noise in the Hall and the considerable distance between us I was able to eavesdrop on them.

'So that girl is your sister, I knew it!' Ron said triumphantly.

'Yes, but you wouldn't think so based on our personalities, we're very different.' Hermione replied.

'Oh really how?' Ron asked.

'Well, I like being neat and studying, Melanie on the other hand is very messy and doesn't like studying.'