"So you're afraid that he'll try to do something to hurt me?"

Grayson's jaw clenches, but he keeps his attention on the road ahead. "He said as much."

Oh. This is not good. Am I prey? When did this summer get so fucked up?

"I'm sorry, Layla."

"Why would you be sorry? It's not your fault."

"I should have never come to this town. I was being selfish," he says quietly. "After my own fucking motives."

"You thought you were helping people. And yourself."

He sighs. "Yeah, well, I didn't. Not really. Instead, all I started to give a fuck about was you."

Something in my chest flutters at his words.

"And now ..." his shoulder tenses slightly, his grip tightening on the wheel. "Now I've put you in danger. I hope you know that I tried to keep my distance. Fuck ... I'm just ... I'm so fucking scared, Layla."

I rub his shoulder from the passenger seat, trying to comfort him, but my stomach hurts. "Hey, we're going to be okay. It's okay."

He looks distressed. "I don't care what happens to me. But you ... you ..."

"I'm going to be fine. So far, nothing too terrible has happened."

Grayson stays silent, but his grip on the steering wheel remains tight, and when I look over at him, his jaw is clenched.

We finally arrive back home, and he comes to a stop in front of the driveway.

"Do you want to come inside? Say hi to Hale or my Grandpa?"

Grayson shakes his head, putting the car in park.

"Okay," I say, pushing open the car door. "Thanks for the ride. I'll see you later."

I'm halfway out of the car when Grayson stops me.

"Layla, wait."

I pause, one leg in the car and the other out.

He hesitates. "Be careful," he says. "And I'll do what I need to on my end."

My stomach hurts again, but not for myself, for Grayson. "Don't do anything stupid, Grayson. You have your whole life ahead of you."

His face looks like my words mean nothing to him. "Bye."

I sigh, stepping out of the car. "Bye."

I shut the door and make my way up the driveway. Grayson remains parked until I reach the front door and slip inside, then I hear him drive off.

I head upstairs to have a quick shower and change into different clothes. Once I'm ready, I head back downstairs. It's almost ten now, so I assume everyone should be ready to go.

"There you are," my mom says, walking towards the foyer. "Everyone's already in the car. I was just about to call you. How was Camila's? You haven't hung out with her for a while."

"Oh, it was fine. Fun," I answer her, slipping into my shoes and doing up the laces.

We step out onto the porch, and Mom locks the door. "Have you ... have you heard anything from Grayson?"

I tuck my hands into the pockets of my jeans, shifting on my feet. "No."

"Liam stopped by last night looking for you. We told him you were with Camila."

I follow my mom down the stairs but almost stop at her words, but I try to stay neutral. "Did he?"

"Mhm," she nods, stopping at the driveway, looking at me curiously. "Well ... he stayed for dinner. And he also said that you couldn't possibly be with Camila because she's currently in Colombia."