33.

⋆。˚⋆ฅ^𓆝୨♡୧𓆝ฅ^⋆˚。⋆ Aonung POV ⋆。˚⋆ฅ^𓆝୨♡୧𓆝ฅ^⋆˚。⋆

I can never guess what Ta'kari is about to say.

But I think this is the most surprised she's ever made me.

From shouting and hitting and sobbing one moment, now she's blinking back tears and gazing up at me.

"This is so stupid," she says, her eyes flashing dangerously again.

I blink back down at her, not knowing what to say.

"You are so fucking stupid. You are a stupid, rude, condescending, entitled coward. I fucking HATE you."

I flinch at this.

But I can't make myself feel sad or mad or anything. Because all I can think about is making Ta'kari feel better. So if she wants to scream and hit me, she can.

"So then why the fuck does it seem so impossible to have you dead?" she whispers, and I look back, surprised by the softness in her voice.

She sounds almost thoughtful as her gaze meets mine, teary and desperate and furious and tender all at once.

 "You scared me so bad, Aonung. I... I thought I lost you."

"Oh Ta'kari," I whisper.

Those were the words that could have killed me. Or maybe it was the soft desperation in the voice.

"So don't EVER fucking do that again," she says, shoving me back.

"I won't," I swear. 

"What were you thinking?"

"I wasn't thinking," I admit.

"But what if I wasn't there to save you," she whispers, running a hand over her face. "I can't lose you Aonung."

My heart clenches painfully, but I don't let myself hope. Not yet, at least.

"Why- what do you mean?"

"I've lost everyone," she whispers, tearfully looking up at me. "This is all I have left. There is no place for me without you."

My heart sinks. She meant in Awa'atlu.

"They would take care of you," I say, trying to not sound like she just stomped on my heart and soul a thousand times.

"I don't want them to take care of me," she snaps. "I-"

But she cuts herself off.

"What do you want then," I whisper.

There is no pretences in my voice. I'm fucking begging for her. She must know that I'm begging.

"Please," she says, backing away as I reach for her again.

"What?" I whisper. 

I don't even bother to hide the desperation in my voice.

She should know that I would do whatever for her.

"Please don't."

"What do you want, Ta'kari."

"Don't pretend you care," she whispers. "I don't need your pity Aonung."

"I do care," I say, stung.

"Why?" she hisses. 

"What?" I say, frozen.

"WHY DO YOU CARE, AONUNG?" she shouts.

I can't think of anything to say.