1.

⋆☾⋆࿔࿐⋆𓇼⋆࿐ ࿔⋆☾⋆ Ta'kari POV ⋆☾⋆࿔࿐⋆𓇼⋆࿐ ࿔⋆☾⋆

The waves are cool around me as I ride through the early morning ocean. The sun has barely risen, the sky golden and peach, flecked with strands of fluffy white clouds. It's so peaceful, the only sounds being the light waves and the clicking of my ilu, Rei'ka below me.

There's no yelling or laughing or chatter out here. I just needed one most of quiet, of peace, before I return to the bustle of the village, maybe hunt something for breakfast.

I move around the bay before sliding off my ilu and underwater.

The beach is silent, yet underwater, there is everything. The songs of tulkun carry through the ocean from where, miles away, our brothers and sisters are. The shimmer of fish and the wave of coral and feathery sea-plants catch my eye as I submerge and come to rest on a bed of soft swaying anemone.

I let my fingers move absent-mindedly through the lavender tendrils and my eyes flutter shut. I still have several minutes left of breath; I'll let myself take a break.

A break from the village above, where my people rest, the ones I would one day lead. A break from my mother and father, from training and friends and everything.

Ta'unui is my home, but I find the ocean more comforting than the village or its people. I love my clan, and I know I'll do anything for them, yet I can never imagine myself leading them. 

Because I won't.

Fucking Aonung.

The Metkayina boy from Awa'atlu, that had unintentionally and single-handedly ruined my whole life. The stupid skxawng that never listened to anyone and I'd only met a few times.

Yes, I'd hated him my whole life, but I'd never been able to discern whether it was because he would one day separate me from my family and my clan, or because I never knew anything about him until we met at thirteen.

I had been promised to him since birth, as my parents and the Metkayina clan leaders, Tonowari and Ronal had wanted to forge a bond between our two clans.

The water is deeper than it looks and I swim deeper, staring around in awe. Colourful coral and fish surround me, stretching around my whole vision. 

Everything has a bluer tint under the surface, yet it is tranquil and calming. The water is cool and calm, the currents gently pulling me towards the reef, almost like an invitation.

Colours leap from every corner in sight. Lilac and rose coral host darker, cooler coloured fish. Translucent white jelly fish and rays swim in and out of sight, graceful and languid in the reef.

Flowery looking plants drift lazily through the water, whilst stiff bubbles of stone are carpeted in pale anemones. Stripes and spots dazzle my eyes, whilst the glimmer of scales shines alluringly off the cool sunlight filtering through the water.

I always wonder what the reefs of the other clans look like, and I know I'll have to find out when I'll eventually start attending inter-clan meetings. Between Awa'atlu and Ta'unui.

"Ugh," I groan, but of course, nothing comes out but a stream of bubbles.

I swim to the surface and take a breath, before submerging back under and lying in the soft sandy sea-floor.

I remember our first meeting, where my parents and I had gone to Awa'atlu. The celebration had been fun, and the speeches less so.

Tsireya, Aonung's sister, was very sweet, and I had also become friends with a kind boy called Rotxo. Later, I had found Rotxo being picked on by Aonung and his friends.