Chapter 7

"Alright class, settle down," the noise persisted

"Alright class, settle down," the noise persisted. "I said settle down! You! Layi get up and face the wall in that corner with your hands up," the government teacher pointed at one of his noisy students.

"But sir," his friend tried to help him.

"One word and you'll join him too. Disrespectful students."

Meanwhile Remi rested her head on her right hand which was leaning on her desk. She was already tired of the boring government class. If not for his strictness she would've sooner fallen asleep. Usually she sat with Operah but ever since that day at the canteen she had been avoiding her too.

It's lonely realizing your only friends are just three people when you have over twenty people in your class.

"Mid term tests are starting tomorrow. It's a wonder how half of the term is already gone and you kids are still behaving as if you have time left. Your final year exams are knocking for those who have forgotten. This isn't the time to be playing up and down and relying on expo."

The bell rang, however no one made a move to leave. They couldn't do so until the teacher left first. "Buy past questions and practice them. If you have any difficulties, come find me in my office." By which he meant the general staff room. "Any questions on today's topic?"

Faith, one of the brainiacs of the class attempted to raise her hand but was quickly blocked by the chorus of no sir from the rest.

Oversabi.

Immediately he left, Remi dropped her head on her desk. When she was about to enter into a sleep state the sound of somebody pulling a chair beside her disrupted it.

"What is it now?" She raised her head, annoyed only to be met with a familiar set of eyes. "What do you want, Jericho? I'm trying to sleep."

"I want you."

"Nice line. Now can you please leave me alone in peace Biko?"

"I'm serious."

"And why's that?"

"Because I like you," was his straight answer. Remita burst out laughing loudly causing some of her classmates to scold her. She covered her mouth, wiping away an imaginary tear.

"Like me eh?"

"Yes. I mean it."

"You don't like me Jericho. You like what I did for you. End of topic."

"I didn't mean what I said at the canteen that day. I was just jealous that—"

"I don't care," she cut him off and rested her head on the desk again. "Please leave."

"Remi...I really really like you," he persisted.

"Well I don't like you too, Richo."

"Why?"

"I like someone else," it didn't register in her mind before she said it and once it did she raised her head with her eyes wide open. The sleep totally went as she repeated what she said firmly, "Yes, I like someone else."

"It's him abi? Almost all the girls of this school like him. Is it because he's giving you face that you think he'll like you too? That guy has high principles to never get involved with any girl unless he's serious."

Remi yawned, "Are you done?"

Jericho became angry. "Let's see if he'll still like you after I tell him about your true nature and of course the things we did."

Jericho started walking to his class leaving Remi to chase after him. He can't know about the details. It was break and so people were sending her weird looks as she rushed after him.

When they reached the staircase Jericho stopped abruptly, grabbed her hand and pulled her against the wall. He forcefully placed his head in the crook of her neck, inhaling her scent.

"Let me go you fool! Are you mad?" She struggled against his grip on her wrist.

"Relax abeg nobody is here so you can drop the changed girl act. What happened to you eh? Overnight you just decided to change yourself. Many guys miss you o lemme tell you. They say you've become boring."

"I like myself like that," she shouted in his face and kicked his feet hard with the heel of her shoe.

Jericho immediately grabbed her chin, turning her body in a different angle which would look like they were doing something. At that moment from the corner of her eyes Remi spotted Vincent above them on the staircase. The first look that crossed his face was hurt then anger then just disappointed as he turned back to the direction he was coming from.

"Vincent, wait!"

Jericho laughed. "You think he'll listen? He's probably gotten the gist now. People like you can never change. Maybe you can go a few months without it but you'll always go back."

"Not me," she slapped Jericho across the cheek. "I never want to see you in my sight again. I hate you Jericho! I hate you!"

Remi ran to the rooftop where she suspected him to be but when she got there it was locked. And for the following week the door was always locked.