Chapter 6

"What do you want me to buy when I'm coming back?" Mr Godfred, Remita's father asked from the driver's side of the car

"What do you want me to buy when I'm coming back?" Mr Godfred, Remita's father asked from the driver's side of the car. He and his wife were going to attend a funeral at their extended relative's village and didn't want to bring the kids along because of school.

"I want one of those waist beads they have over there. I heard my friends talking about it the other day," Deborah said excitedly.

"As for me, I want another power ranger action figure. Oh and ice cream and suya."

"What about you Remi?" Her mother asked.

I want you to not go.

"Just buy me another novel on your way back."

"Okay," he reversed the car and soon all that could be seen was a black dot as they drove away.

Edward, her little brother ran into the house shouting, "I'm taking the remote first!"

Deborah chased after him, not wanting to watch any of his boring childish cartoons. Remi went to her room to change.

It's been a week since she first attended the group meeting for helping people open up. Each time she left she felt herself getting encouraged more and more. It helped that Vincent was always by her side. The question of what she would've done or what she would've been doing if he didn't stumble into her life often came to her.

She wore a peach singlet top and a pair of boyfriend high waist jeans to go with it. The color matched her brown skin perfectly. Remi made sure to apply sunscreen to protect her, seeing as her outing today would involve them walking under the sun.

During the week Remi actively avoided her friends, choosing to spend her time on the roof with Vincent studying and talking. He was funny, smart, cheerful, respectful and generally a very good guy. He was almost perfect to her.

He had proposed that they go to the beach during the weekend. Remi agreed knowing that her parents would be traveling for a funeral but didn't anticipate them sending a nanny to watch after them as if she's not old enough to look after her siblings.

She wore her sandals and started packing her essentials. Phone, novels, bottled water, headphone, snacks, sunscreen, her beach hat and a pair of sunglasses.

Remi felt proud when she stared at herself without the urge to actually touch herself.

God, thank you.

All the little wins were given to him. With a smile on her face she confronted the lady pressing her phone in the parlor. Loretta is a daughter of one of her mother's workers who happened to be on a break from school. The age difference between her and Remi is only three years, that means Loretta is just twenty years old but she was always forming oversabi.

"I'm going out," Remi announced.

"And where to? You think because your parents are not around you can go out as you please?"

"Madam, even if they were here I would still go out." After begging profusely of course. "I'm going to hang out with Operah. My parents know her, you can call them and confirm."

"Wait," Loretta instructed.

"I'm already late. You can call them when I'm gone," she said, already walking away to the gate.

She hailed a taxi once out, plugged her headphones into her ears as music flooded through.

"Hey!" The sight of a tall and handsome Vincent with his shirt blowing in the wind and his long legs running to her in his shorts by the beach shore was a sight to behold when Remi got there.

She had to chide herself for thinking about him in any other way apart from a friend.

"Hi," she said. "This place is really crowded."

He chuckled, "We're in Lagos, what did you expect on a weekend? Come on." He grabbed her hand as he led her to where he had organized a tent for them.

"This must've cost o. Vincent, who sent you to book tent na? I was thinking we'll sit on the sand."

"Why? Don't you like it?" He looked downcast.

"No, no, no. I like it, that's why I'm saying it's too much for us."

He smiled again, "Relax. Just enjoy being out here with me. Your best friend."

Her smile dropped. "Best friend?"

"Aren't we?"

"I just thought you wouldn't want to be like that with someone like—"

"Don't complete that statement. You're a smart young lady and a strong one too for making the decision to change your life. Not many can close those doors that hold them back as you've done. I'm happy to be helping you too."

"Thank you," she said with a lot of emotion. The atmosphere became different so she went and plopped down on the bench provided. "Oya my phone."

He happily gave it to her. "Come and take pictures of me by the sea. Our food will arrive later so let's have fun."

"But I was planning on reading—"

"Reading kwa? On a perfectly good day like this. Let's go jare." He dragged her against her protest towards the sea. By the end of the day they were soaking wet, covered in sand, full to the brim with food and smiling like lovestruck fools at each other.

It's a good thing she remembered and brought an extra set of clothes to play in.

The sun was setting. Vincent and Remi sat side by side watching the beautiful view. They embraced the silence between them before she spoke.

"Seven."

"Huh?"

"It started when I was seven. Up till now I wish someone stopped me sooner or I didn't let myself continue doing it. I just wish... I wish something happened then instead of continuing it to this point."

He nodded. "I was thirteen and looking to be accepted by foolish boys whose only thing that mattered was body count. Can you believe it? At such an age. I didn't know better."

"How did you stop?" She turned to see the grim look on his face.

"My mother found out. Beat me mercilessly then left me in a missionary for six months. I'm grateful she did that though. It brought me closer to God and since then I've been walking the right path."

"Thank God," she turned to face the sunset. "And how did you know what I was doing? I always did it in the girl's bathroom."

He chuckled, "Oh it was just a hunch because I saw you closing your thighs and staring at mister Henry's shorts during one general meeting. You merely confirmed it on the roof that day."

"Hey!" She splashed water on his face. "That's for tricking me."

He wiped his face, giving her a mischievous look. "You better run."

Remi ran away screaming as Vincent chased after her.

That night she laid in bed with her phone in her hands. She felt a burning desire to do something. After the day's events her feelings were on a high. She stared at her phone, contemplating just giving in once. It hurt so much as she shut her thighs whimpering.

Frustrated, she tossed the phone in one corner then went to the bathroom to splash water on her face.

I can do this. God is my strength. I won't give in to the temptation.