Chapter 5

"How did you and Vincent become acquainted? The Remita I remember always said she would be caught dead with someone so innocent as he is," Operah said, using her fork to roll the spaghetti into her mouth

"He's nice."

"Really? Is that all you've got to say?"

She shrugged. "What else do you want to hear? He's a nice person and is helping me with something."

"Okay o."

Jericho and Alfred slammed their plates on the table as they joined them. "Can you believe they want us to take tests already? It's only been two weeks. This school sef is doing the most," Alfred complained once he sat down.

"We're in our final year so we have to prepare vigorously for our exams. It's to prepare us," said Operah.

"Abeg don't come and start preaching to me or else I'll go and sit by Jumo and his friends. I'm getting tired of you three anyways," Alfred said.

"Na who forced you to sit here? Do as you please," Jericho said, knowing fully well that Alfred had social anxiety that's why he preferred being with his three friends than others.

"You people should hear o. I was asking Remi about Vincent and she's telling me he's nice. Me, I don't believe that one. Help me flush the reason out of her. Gist is sweeting me like this spaghetti."

Jericho was beginning to get annoyed at the mere mention of his name. Suddenly he comes into her life and Remi won't even spare him a glance or even give him time with her. It got to him much more than expected. Jericho suspected that during their rendezvous he had started to develop an infatuation for her.

"Isn't it obvious that he's trying to hit on her. I don't buy his little innocent act in the slightest," Jericho said angrily.

"He's not like that," Remita defended him. "He's kind, caring, funny, looks out for me and is a good friend."

"You can tell all this after knowing him for how many days?" Alfred asked.

"Ask again o," Jericho supported. "Looks like she's falling for his charm. Are you that easy Remi?"

His question struck a chord in her. She narrowed her eyes at him. "Of all people I didn't expect this from you. And you know exactly what I mean."

Remita abandoned her spaghetti and stormed off.

Are you that easy Remi?

Her response in her mind was she must be or else why would she give him the chance with her at all. At least she knows how he really sees her.

Remita avoided her friends for the rest of the day. Suddenly she felt like they were toxic to her, especially Jericho. She avoided him most whenever he tried to speak to her.

"Are you ready?" Vincent asked. He took her bag from her back as the two of them held hands walking down the street.

Remita started to feel conscious when people in their stalls and elders passing by would look at their intertwined hands. "Umm...why do you have to hold my hand?"

He turned to her and Remi thought that under the sun his beauty shone bright. "I don't want you to run away."

She blinked when she realized she was staring at him. "But people are watching us."

"Let them watch. We know ourselves."

There was no convincing him. As she used her other hand to shield her face from the sun Remi didn't notice the smile on Vincent's face. He held onto her hand tighter.

"Here we are," they stood in front of a large Church. "St Vincent the Paul parish."

Remi giggled. "It's weird because it's your name."

"Only you would say that."

Remi gasped at the architecture of the interior of the building. Not only was it spacious but it had well carved sculptures of different saints and events at each pillar. Vincent tugged her arm, there was no time for sightseeing.

He led them through a chamber, in which a total of thirteen people sat around in a circle. They quietly sat down on an empty chair, dropping their bags by the seat.

"Welcome everyone. My name is Oluwambe and I am one of the sisters of this Parish. It's so nice to meet together again this week. One thing I like to do before I start a session is pray. Can we do that?"

Everyone agreed. Sister Oluwambe led them in a short prayer followed by a chorus of Amen.

"Now. Let's kindly introduce ourselves in this order. Your name, your age and your issue. Please, Mrs Patricia, we're starting from your direction."

"Patricia Nwadike is my name. I'm thirty three years of age. My issue is...is..."

The woman hesitated. It made Remita anxious of when it would be her turn to expose herself to these people. Could she do it without being afraid of being judged?

Vincent took her palm, rubbing circles on the back of it which instantly calmed her nerves.

"It's okay to tell us. That's the first step to recovery, admitting that you have a problem and you need help. God's help," said Oluwambe.

"I've been struggling with the aftermaths of sexual abuse from my husband," Mrs Patricia broke into tears after saying it. The man sitting beside her gave her a tissue, patting her back in comfort.

No further questions were asked as the next person spoke.

"My name is Mercy Adeoye and I'm thirteen years old. I came here after finding out from a friend because I'm struggling with my family. That is, my parents always beat me and send me out of the house to spend the night when I don't behave."

The voice of the young female broke Remita's heart. How can people be so cruel?

It continued until it reached her turn. All eyes were on her expectantly. "M...My name is Remi... that's uhh Remita Ebube. I'm seventeen years old and my issue is..." her throat felt dry and constricted.

Vincent squeezed her hand, "You can do this."

"I'm struggling with self pleasure. That's fornication if you would call it that," she looked down on her lap, not brave enough to stand the looks in their eyes. Are they judging her?

"The Bible verse where Jesus says he who has never sinned cast the first stone doesn't justify the woman's actions or rather that's not what we learn from it. We learn from it that we are all sinners and can't judge others and most importantly we learn that Jesus forgave her on the condition that she goes and sins no more," Oluwambe said to Remi. "God will forgive you if you ask for his forgiveness but then you must be ready to repent and do away with it forever."

Remita looked up at the sister who had compassion in her eyes. She didn't judge or look at her like she's dirty and unworthy.

For that Remita was grateful.