6 | Something In The Rain

"Today?"

"Yes. Are you scared?" PD-nim looked at me as I bowed to him, and sat beside Heeseung. My heart was beating fast. The news of us being a part of the dating show was releasing today. "I know we said we'll wait for another week but there's some issue with the schedules. It's difficult to keep the news under wraps since shooting is happening in the public area today or tomorrow."

I nodded slowly. "Are you okay, Sunbae?" I turned to Heeseung. "You're very popular, so it must be stressful."

"It's okay. I'll be fine. You, scared?" He gave me a teasing smile, but I could see him tapping his feet against the ground. He wasn't as chill as he was pretending to be.

"I'm okay. Sunbae, I know it's hard for you. We're... umm friends. You don't have to say something you don't feel like," I couldn't help but say. "You're nervous just like anyone else would be." I stared at him as he turned to me, surprised.

I felt protective of Heeseung after our last encounter. He was a good person. I mean, no one could pretend that long, right? And, like me, he was trying to survive in this entertainment industry. I went through history of Enhypen last week, safe to say, being popular wasn't that fun either. He wasn't well protected because even his company could be shit in certain times. Well, I won't say he was completely nice though. He would sacrifice me to save himself. It was a war. Kind of war, at least. I needed to understand that.

"We're going to shoot your reactions to the news today evening. The comments and all." The staff informed. "Today, we're doing photoshoot."

I broke my staring game with Heeseung, and nodded. I wanted to ask if they would filter the comments, but then stopped. They wanted a show. I would give them a show if they dared to take an advantage of our situation in the evening. The lightening and everything was set. We were taking photos for the cover sets today, and everything looked pretty and beautiful. Like a wedding show.

I was wearing light yellow dress and Heeseung black all overs.

We listened to the photographer instructions to dance

We listened to the photographer instructions to dance. Rest she would handle. It was her style she said. The background music started, I recognized it as Enhypen's instrumental song. The low lightening gave warmth to the surrounding and everything felt heightened.

Suppressing a shudder, I slipped my hand into his. I didn’t look up into his face. It would have been my undoing. His fingers closed around my hand with less pressure than I had expected, and his other hand gently touched my back and pulled me against him.

My body clenched, my breathing caught in my throat. I had to hold in a gasp. He led me along to the music, but my trembling didn’t make it easy for him. He tightened his hold on me, bringing us closer, and I exhaled sharply at the feel of his hard body against mine.

"Look at me." He ordered. I stumbled upon my high heels, and got a few steps in, but my body swayed and he grabbed onto my arm as though trying to stabilise himself and me together.

I chuckled. Heeseung turned and asked, “What’s wrong?”

"Stupid heels." I smiled sheepishly. He lifted me by waist and swayed me around. I started laughing and he grinned. "We're supposed to dance properly."

"They're not saying anything though." He shrugged. He placed me on my feet. I adjusted my heels. "Good?"

"Yeah."

"Hayun."

"Sunbae."

I looked up. Right at the same time, he turned with something in mind to say to me. Before he could voice out, I swayed forward uncontrollably and his one hand reached out to my arm in reflex while mine grabbed his tie.

My face flopped into his chest.

In that moment, all my senses were clouded by the intense scent of sandalwood from him.

His body stumbled back.

I instinctively raised my head, the tip of my nose brushing against his chin and I took a step back. "Sorry. Sorry. Sorry."

Heeseung breathed deeply. Shit. He must be frustrated. He crouched to see my heels. "They're not of your size," he gripped my ankle and made me take them off each. "Excuse me, wearing heels isn't a joke, that too larger than your size. Who bought it? It's not harder to get the right props, no?"

My eyes flickered. I was scared. Why was he pissed on my behalf? One of the staff members came forward and apologised. Heeseung left in anger. Wait. What just happened? My manager took me to the side. Everything felt tensed all of the sudden. We wrapped up the shoot for the afternoon. No further photos were taken. I went for lunch break.

The articles were uploaded. I tried to be positive as the evening shoot arrived. I and Heeseung went to get ready. My heart was beating in my throat, and I raised my head, straightened my shoulders and got out of the green room. It was going to be okay.

"Oh anyong sunbae-"

"Noona, anyong." Jay waved at me before I could complete my formal greeting. He called me noona as if we were close. We weren't though. "Ah, you look surprised but you're two months older than me."

I wanted to tell him I was surprised by the informal greeting, but then I saw his smile. I smiled back. "You're here to see Heeseung Sunbae?"

"No. I wanted to see you. We're having an official shooting next week. You don't know?" He tilted his head. "I'm taking my sister in law out for shopping."

"Oh. That's why they released the news early."

"Yep. I've a schedule overseas, so I won't be able to join later. And, shopping means going out in the public." Jay looked at me, and I tried to not read too much in that look. He looked at me as if he knew me, like something. "I know they're not good to you, noona, but don't worry. It's going to be okay. I'll take care of it."

I was dumbstruck. He bowed and left from there. What was that? I went outside, and made my way to the set where we were shooting. I came across Heeseung and... Miyoung. I stared. He was talking to Miyoung, smiling big. I tilted my head and my shoulders fell I didn't know why. He looked at her like she was his... something.

She must be shooting something here somewhere. I slowed my pace. Miyoung hugged him and then she was on her way. Heeseung was smiling to himself. Okay?

"Hayun." He glanced at me. "You look nice."

"You too, Sunbae." I looked around. "You ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."