Chapter Twenty: Bitch

"Nonso, it's not like that," She intervened quickly when he began to pack his things.
"Abeg," He brushed her hand off, "you two can die together."
"Nonso!" She exclaimed.
He roughly closed his takeaway and stood.
"These things are normal," She persisted, "I always tell my sister stuff but since I met Kaito and I noticed I liked him, I slowly decreased the way I talked with her about my private stuff. It is an unconscious act. It's because it is something new and we are trying to figure it out and we just tend to keep it to ourselves because of the fear that we'll be judged or we'll be discouraged from exploring it."
He was listening so she continued.
"When my sister heard about it, she wasn't mad, she even teased me about it but she made me understand my limits and she reassured me that she was always going to be there for me. I understand that you are hurt but Nonso, please, it's not because he is tired of you. Who can be tired of you? Dem never born that kin person."
He looked at her, she blinked at him. His lips twitched but he fought the smile. He hissed but he did not leave again. Everything else was interesting to Kaito but the table and the people he sat with. This seemed to annoy Nonso even more.
"So Kaitochukwu, you couldn't even stop me from leaving?" He accused.
"If you leave, you'll come back," Kaito shrugged.
"Coward," Nonso spat, infuriated, "Have you told your girlfriend that you are helping your sittie ensure she isn't raped? Or you let her nurse suspicions that something is going on between you two?"
"Raped?" She echoed, stunned beyond measure.
"Of course, he didn't tell you," Nonso sneered, "he'll store everything in his big head until it bursts."
"Stop," She warned him, "You are enjoying yourself too much."
Kaito mumbled something incoherent and suddenly stood.
"Where are you going?" She inquired sharply, fighting the thread of jealousy rising in her throat.
"Better sit and don't run," Nonso scoffed.
"Kaito," She called when he remained standing. He slowly sat.
"And better don't cry or your girlfriend will know that you are a crybaby."
"Nonso, please," She cut him off, shooting him a sharp glare, "you have talked too much." She faced Kaito, "You can't ignore everything he just said now. You have to explain yourself."
He said nothing.
"You have to say your mind like Nonso did," She prodded, "Or you hold it in forever. He said some stuff that you also have to explain to me."
He still said nothing.
"Kaito," She called.
"Kaito," She called again, feeling tears spring to her eyes.
"What he said is true," He finally spoke, releasing a tense breath, "and I am sorry. Some were intentional, some weren't. And yes, I do feel like a big boy. I am almost eighteen, I am almost done with secondary school and I have a girlfriend; I feel very big and I am proud of it. I am not tired of you, Nonso," He looked his best friend in the eye, "And I know you'll be the last person to judge me but I just want to see through some things by myself. I always eventually tell you, do I not? You have been my one true friend since junior school, I don't take that for granted... maybe I do sometimes but I appreciate you and I... I love you."
He turned to her and his face softened, "I am sorry. Nonso told me that Buchi was planning to rape Danielle and we have been trying to investigate the matter without raising dust. Yes, Danielle has had a crush on me and sometimes, I feel like she feels entitled to my attention but I always correct her when she oversteps her boundaries and I've made it clear to her that I don't like her in that way. I should have reassured you sooner. I am sorry."
She sighed and rubbed a hand down her face. She looked at Nonso to find him grinning. Maybe the two best friends were bipolar.
"I love you too, Bestie," Nonso beamed, "I was joking when I said I'll leave. I know you cannot do without me."
She scoffed, Kaito chuckled and they shook hands. She smiled in relief but long after that moment was over, it bothered her that Kaito said 'I love you' to Nonso and didn't say it to her.
*
After Dinner, after the boys had told her in detail about the rape issue and that Buchi hadn't made any move and they didn't want to confront him, she left for her class to get her books and to call Toyo.
Just before she reached Toyo's class, a junior girl stopped her.
"Good evening, senior," The girl greeted.
"Good evening, can I help you?" She asked kindly.
"Are you senior Kamsi, please?"
"Yes?"
"Senior Kehinde, senior Taiwo's girlfriend, asked me to call you. She is crying."
"Where is she?" She asked immediately, alert with worry.
"I saw her at the tap area, the one close to the labs. I don't know if she is still there."
"Alright, thank you," She said and hurried away.
If she had not been so startled by the interruption and by the news, perhaps she would have noticed that there was something strange about the girl.
It had to be Taiwo, she thought in mockery, why else would Kehinde cry so badly?
She got to the tap area but there was no one there.
"Kehinde," She called, moving deeper into the darkness. She should probably check the back of the T.D. lab, she thought, it was a private space and Kehinde might have felt safe to cry there.
Disregarding her uneasiness, she ventured into the darkness. Few steps away from the lab, a hand suddenly grabbed her. Her first instinct was to scream but another hand roughly clamped her mouth shut.
"Bitch," A familiar voice hissed, "You are going down today."