Book 2: Chapter 2

Kaito called later in the evening.
"Forgive me, I'm sorry," he said once she picked up the call, "Obinne stole my phone yesterday night and I had no idea he was the one. He just gave it back to me because Dad threatened him. I'm sorry."
She was out on the verandah because she didn't want Ketandu or anyone to listen in on their conversation.
She was smiling already, "You are apologizing as if you ran away with my money. It's fine. Why did he steal your phone?"
"He said I am always on my phone... talking with you."
She laughed, "Sorry, I'm causing you trouble."
"Don't go soft on me."
"What?" She pressed her face to the cool railings. She wondered if her current life could get any better than it was.
"I was supposed to call you since morning but I just called. My reason may be valid but don't just tell me it's fine. Shout, complain, get annoyed with me."
She laughed, "Are you serious?"
"Yes," he replied and sighed, "I don't want to fail you and not notice it."
"If you fail me," she said to him, her heart bursting with happiness, "I'll let you know. I was about to get angry though. I don't like to be kept waiting."
"I'm sorry."
"It's fine," she chuckled.
"Of course it's fine. You can't be mad at me for too long," he said cockily and she hissed.
"Kamsi..." He called, his tone carrying an urgency that made her alert.
"What?" She asked, curious.
He was quiet for a moment then he sighed, "I'm having rice and banga soup for dinner, like right now. What are you having?"
She blinked. Wasn't he about to say something? She lowered herself to the cold tiles.
"We are not having dinner yet, everyone is still full from lunch. We cooked the party usual, jollof rice and fried rice, fried turkey and salad."
"Yummy," he said and she could sense he was smiling, "how was the celebration? I want to wish her oo but from what you have told me... I'm scared."
"You should be," she chuckled, "Since she came back, she has been on my neck. Every time 'Who is that rich boyfriend of yours? Are you talking to that rich boyfriend of yours? Calling your rich boyfriend? Look at Kamsiyonna, she's now keeping rich boyfriends.'"
He was laughing hard.
"Did you... did you..." he paused, choking on his laughter.
"It's not funny," she pouted, "you are not the one suffering it."
"Friends suffer for each other, right?" He laughed, "Did you tell her that I am your boyfriend?"
"Nope, she just assumed and she stands not to be corrected. She thinks I am eating your money."
"Oh God," he laughed again, "if only she knows."
"If only," she sighed. Ketandu was a pest.
"You know," he said, quieting down, "I don't mind you eating my money."
She snorted, "Of course, that's what you guys say in private then you go on social media and lament that girls are only after your money. Who are you fooling?"
He laughed again and she rolled her eyes.
"How's Nonso?" She asked.
His laughter died down. "I'm talking to you and you are asking after Nonso? I'm hurt."
"I was just asking!" She exclaimed, laughing, "If Nonso hears that you are jealous of him, eh."
"Eh, what? He should go and fix his problems with Toyo. When I'm talking to you, focus on me alone."
She kept silent.
"Kamsi?"
"I'm talking to you and you ask for my sister. I'm hurt."
There was silence then he burst into laughter.