Chapter 36: Joker

Kaito looked at her then at his stained singlet then swiftly pulled it off.
She looked away, blushing heavily.
"Like you haven't seen it before," Nonso chuckled, amused at her sudden shyness. She shook her head with a shy smile and sneaked a quick look at Kaito. He had a smooth chest and she could see the outline of forming abs.
"Stare if you want to stare and stop hiding," Kaito poked her blushing cheek.
"Have you seen my chest?" Nonso boasted, "It puts this little boy here to shame."
She laughed, watching Kaito button up.
"What's with you guys and abs anyway? I don't see the big deal," she said lightly. And it was true. She never saw what was so special about guys with muscles and rock-hard abs that made girls drool.
"Lies," Nonso drawled while Kaito laughed. He looked at her and she began blushing all over again. What was wrong with her?
"I'm serious," she giggled, looking away from him.
"Hey! You three!"
They all looked to the box entrance to find Toyosi running towards them, a white paper in her hand.
"What!?" Nonso shouted.
"Reprints," Toyosi panted, coming to a stop at their table. She bent over, calming her breath.
"Reprints?" She and Nonso asked simultaneously.
"Jamb reprints," Toyosi explained, "shift, abeg," she said to Nonso and sat next to him, "They are sharing it class by class." Nonso took the A4 paper from her.
"I'm writing in that school close to ours, by 9 am on the first day," Toyo informed them, "since we registered as a school, most of us have centres close to our school."
"What about me that registered late?" She asked worriedly.
"You'll just have to see first," Toyo shrugged.
*
"Osun what!?"
"Osun state!?" Kehinde B exclaimed, grabbing the paper from her hand.
"They posted you to Osun state?" Sarah came over.
They were in front of Toyo's class, which was directly behind hers. They were going through their reprints and discussing loudly.
"How will you get there?" Daniel asked worriedly, "By what time?"
"By 7 am," she answered weakly, a deep frown on her face. She felt alone and bothered.
"By 7 am, wow," Toyo laughed, looking at the reprint with Sarah.
"That's bad, very bad," Nonso commented idly, going through his reprint. Kaito was next to him, hands in his pocket. He was avoiding her eyes. She glared at him, feeling jealous. All of them had centres close to school, all but her. If he hadn't compelled her to register, she wouldn't be in this mess.
She looked away and caught C.J. staring at her. He was in front of his class, right next to Toyosi's. He looked away quickly. She rolled her eyes, moving her eyes to Kaito then looked back quickly. She caught him there. He didn't look away this time, instead, he smiled at her. She blinked, surprised, and gave him a smile of her own before he finally looked away. She turned away, catching Kaito watching them, her specifically, a strange look on his face.
"She can leave school," Toyo was saying, "like two days before and go home then someone can take her to the center."
"One day before?" Daniel shot Toyo a 'really?' look, "waste of time and money. She has to go to Osun State two days before because she won't get there on time on the first day. On the second day, she can find out where her center is because there won't be time for that on the exam day. It's by 7 am, remember?"
Toyo snorted.
"Daniel is right," Sarah agreed, "besides going from school is closer and cheaper than going all the way inside Lagos and coming out."
"Who will take her?" Toyo inquired, arms folded.
"Can't she go alone?" Kehinde B suggested.
"The school won't allow that," Nonso spoke, "last time was different. She is going to another state this time. She would need parental guidance, abi supervision, whatever they call it."
"The she is standing right here," she said tiredly.
"We're discussing the she's future," Daniel hushed her.
They kept bantering and going on and on about what was best for she when Nonso gave a loud "Ow!" Sometime during the argument, Nonso and Kaito had moved away from them.
They all looked toward him. He was crouched down on the ground, holding his right foot in pain. Danielle was bent over him while Kaito was crouched down on his other side.
"What happened?" Toyo asked as they all moved over to him.
"Kamsi!" He cried childishly.
"What did Kamsi do?" She quizzed.
"Kamsi!" He cried again.
"I mistakenly stepped on his foot, I forgot he was having problems with it," Danielle explained, looking apologetic.
"Oh sorry," Sarah, Toyo and Kehinde B said together.
"Why is he now crying?" Daniel chuckled.
"Do I look like I'm crying?" Nonso snapped then cried again, "Kamsi, help me!"
"What am I supposed to do?" She sighed, squatting in front of him, the same time Danielle released his arm and straightened. She poked his right foot and he flicked her hand off.
"Bad physiotherapist," he glared at her and slowly stood with Kaito's assistance. She chuckled and stood too.
"You want to be a physiotherapist?" Danielle asked. She shook her head.
"I'm just helping him with his leg," she answered, watching Nonso flex his bad foot slowly, his face clouded with pain.
"I feel like I murdered someone," Danielle laughed awkwardly.
"Sorry," she and Sarah said again.
"Stop telling me sorry," Nonso snapped and everywhere fell silent.
"And why is everyone looking at me?" He frowned.
"Sor..." Sarah and Toyo started and stopped immediately. The group fell silent again until Daniel sighed and Kaito chuckled and Nonso smiled and everyone was laughing.