Chapter 35: You make me blush

"Ahn ahn," Samson, Jessica, and Onyinye exclaimed at the same time. Faridah kept eating her breakfast nonchalantly.
"Are you referring to me or there's another Kamsi you know?" She asked with narrowed eyes.
"Nooo. The rotten brain in your head is who I'm referring to," Faridah mocked.
"Kamsi, don't say anything," Nonso said quickly before she could retaliate, "dis one don run mad."
Kaito gently turned her face away from Faridah to him and fed her another piece of bread. She shut her eyes and chewed slowly.
"Faridah, your own is too much," Samson laughed, "shey fly enter your brain for night?"
"I dey watch am now," Faridah spoke, "she go just dey waka, dey form boss with that Kehinde B that will be attaching to Taiwo. Who dem be sef? Because she manage get small brain, na wetin dey shak her and she don dey follow boys, like mumu. The girl just dey annoy."
"And what's your business?" Kaito snapped, "How does her life affect you?"
"Why can't she talk herself? Are you her mouthpiece?" Faridah taunted.
"Kamsi, don't say anything," Nonso ordered, "Faridah, shut up."
She didn't speak. Not because Nonso told her not to but because she knew battling words with Faridah was useless. People like Faridah would not stop no matter how much you insulted them, they enjoyed downgrading others just to fuel their pride. She would not give Faridah the satisfaction of seeing her disoriented.
"Puppet," Faridah continued, "they are now ordering you around. I said it. Boy no go kill you."
"Shut up," Kaito barked, "you don't know how stupid you look. Can you hear how jealous you sound? Ebee ka ha si bute nke a?"
"Onye amaghi ihe," Nonso added.
"Hey!" Faridah sat up, "better speak what I can understand."
"Fool," Nonso shot at her.
"Faridah get out," Jessica ordered, "you cannot control your tongue. Carry your bag and go."
"Because of what? Is this not..."
"Faridah go. Carry your big nyash and waka," Samson eyed her.
"Fast fast," Jessica clapped her hands, "get your things and leave."
Faridah grumbled but got to her feet. She glared at them one last time before stalking off, her half-eaten bread left behind.
"Kamsi, sorry. I don't know what's wrong with that girl," Jessica apologized.
"It's fine," she shrugged.
"Madam it is fine," Nonso eyed her, "when it is not fine."
"Kamsi, you should have given her her size. She'll still insult you next time," Tony said. She smiled tightly.
Alex, the one who Jamilah had a crush on, kept stealing glances at her then finally he said to her, "For the record, I think she's the only one that sees you that way."
She shot him a less forced smile. She definitely gave Jamilah her blessings to date this cute boy.
"Why are you feeding me?" She finally asked Kaito, dodging the next bread he tried to give to her.
"Since you decided you can't feed yourself, I decided to do the honours," he replied, giving her a look.
"Feed myself?" She quizzed and huffed when he stuffed another piece of bread in her mouth.
"You have been missing your meals," he commented.
"I've been busy."
"Everyone is busy," Nonso frowned at her.
"Not everyone."
"Doesn't mean. You need good food, not junk," Kaito scolded.
"The refectory food is not that good."
"Doesn't mean."
Nonso pushed a big cup of tea she hadn't noticed to her side. Her eyes widened.
"How many people are drinking this tea?" She asked, amazed. The cup was quite big.
"Your boys are gluttons," Nonso laughed while Kaito chuckled.
She shook her head and picked up the cup. It was warm so she took a big gulp. It wasn't the watery tea that the refectory served, it was sweeter. They had obviously added more milk and Milo. Perhaps some sugar, it was too sweet. Diabetes, she thought.
"Nice," she commented though she wasn't used to taking her tea with sugar. She looked at the three loaves left and looked at Kaito who did the same. They repeated the action and then burst into laughter.
"Who's going to finish all these?" She asked, still laughing.
"You, of course," Kaito and Nonso said together.
She shook her head, "You guys are enjoying."
They had finished two loaves and there were still three left. The normal school was entitled to just one loaf of bread each. They were really enjoying.
"Nonso, I didn't see you eat anything," she accused.
"I ate one before you came," he said defensively, taking the teacup from her.
The box was scanty now. It was just the three of them left on the table and there were a few others scattered about.
"We..." Kaito started and stopped, moving closer to her. She looked at him and noticed the two girls playing roughly at his other side.
"Be careful with... seriously!" He hissed. One of them had carelessly poured the contents of her teacup on his pristine white shirt. The brown liquid quickly spread across it.
"Sorry, sorry," Cheta, the one who had slipped, apologized immediately. Kaito hissed again, holding back his stained shirt.
Nonso threw his napkin at Kaito. She took it from him and helped to dab at the stain.
"Sorry," both girls apologized again.
"I can give you water," Cheta offered, a bit disoriented.
"Thank you but don't worry," Kaito said with a forced smile, "it's fine, it was a mistake."
"Please, let me," Cheta insisted, hurriedly opening the bag she was carrying.
She stopped dabbing at the stain. There wasn't much the napkin or water could do.
"The water won't do much. It's okay. Go, I'm not angry," Kaito said again, his fake smile turning into a grimace.
"Oh... okay," Cheta paused then zipped up her bag. She looked disappointed.
"Sorry," both girls apologized again before leaving.
"Is that not the girl Jude wanted to fix you up with?" Nonso asked, looking back at the girls, the same time Cheta looked back at Kaito and quickly looked away when she saw Nonso looking.
"I think so," Kaito forced out, frowning at his shirt. Nonso stared at him and then chuckled. She sighed and pushed his head up
"You can wear your blazer over it to cover the stain," she told him then asked, "Did you bring it?"
"Don't bother," Kaito shook his head and began unbuttoning his shirt as she watched. She sighted his h&f at the box entrance and she waved him in.
"Good morning, seniors," he greeted nervously when he got to them, hands behind his back.
"Take the bread," Nonso commanded.
"Sir?" The boy blinked, confused.
Nonso rolled his eyes, "I'm too young to be a sir," he said and pointed at the three loaves on the table, "you are hungry, right? Take it."
"Oh... thank you, sir," the boy said but didn't move. She noticed the glances he stole at Kaito.
The boy in question smiled knowingly, pulling off his shirt to reveal a stained white singlet.
"Take the bread," he said and began to fold his shirt neatly.
"So it's only him you listen to," Nonso pouted when the boy drew the plate to himself.
"What's your name?" She asked, handing him a polythene bag she miraculously found in her skirt pocket.
"Nwoke," he replied.
"Nwoke?" She raised a brow.
"Nwokeoma, good man," Nonso said, laughing. Nwoke smiled embarrassingly.
"It's a nice name," she said sincerely, "Nwoke."
"Thank you, senior."
"Kamsi," she told him, "senior Kamsi. You are in Jss2?" She glanced at Kaito who was watching them, her specifically.
Nwoke nodded.
"You can go," Kaito said after a moment of silence. Nwoke handed Kaito his bag and scurried away.
"Why is he always running?" She asked, amused.
"Demons are chasing him," Nonso joked lamely.
"You two, abi?" She eyed him.
"What are you going to do?" She turned to Kaito, watching him zip open his bag.
"Wear another shirt," Nonso answered her.
"Another shirt?" She asked and oohed when Kaito brought out a folded school shirt from his bag, "So you guys always carry a spare?"
They shrugged.
Kaito looked at her then at his stained singlet then swiftly pulled it off.
She looked away, blushing heavily.