20: Friends again

"Daniel, what's wrong with you?" Kamsi exploded once Mr. Thompson left the class.
He ignored her, slamming his locker shut with excess force.
"You caused this, you know. Why would you ask me during the test when you know how strict Mr. Thompson is?" She was boiling in anger but trying hard to stay calm and not do something drastic considering Daniel was her friend.
He turned angry disbelieving eyes to her, "And why didn't you help me out when he hadn't noticed us?"
"Why will you ask me to help you when you know I don't do such? Didn't you read? Did you even try to solve the questions?"
He stared at her as if seeing her for the first time. He shook his head in disappointment before getting to his feet and walking out of the class. She sat there, feeling like a fool.
"Sittie, what happened?" Sarah asked quietly and she realized she had more than half the class's attention. She ignored her, putting her head down on the locker.
Five marks, a good five marks gone. She wasn't even sure about her last question, if she solved it properly; she had been disoriented. The embarrassment was one, the consequence was another.
Tears burned her eyes, remembering the look on Daniel's face. Were her actions bad? Should she have given in to him?
"Class greet!"
She reluctantly got to her feet as the Chemistry teacher entered.
Daniel didn't come to class throughout the rest of the periods before recess and she barely heard two words of what the teachers droned about.
"Kamsi, what happened?" Sarah asked again when the recess bell rang.
"I don't even know. Daniel, he..." She was suddenly shedding tears.
"Sorry, sorry," Sarah pulled her into a hug, "it's Daniel's fault. He won't read when others are reading, now see what he has caused. Sorry."
"Do you know where he is?" She asked, cleaning her tears and pulling away.
"Check Stadium or back of T.D. lab. It's where they stay."
She got up and left the class. She found him at the back of the TD lab, where the guys usually hung out when they wanted to skip classes or just flex.
She watched him for a moment, leaning on a wall. He was sitting on a slab, using a broomstick to sketch drawings on the sand.
"You missed four periods." She spoke when she felt he was aware of her presence.
She continued without waiting for him to speak. Several times, she had been a victim of misunderstandings. It was time she made her stand firm about certain issues.
"Daniel, I don't involve in examination malpractice not because I'm too brilliant and I don't need assistance but because it's against my faith, my religion, my belief in God. I study hard not because I want people to hail me but because I have great plans for my future and I want to work towards it. I didn't help you not because I don't like you or want you to pass but because I don't compromise my faith for anyone, at least most times."
She paused, waiting to see if he would say something. He doesn't.
"Daniel, I'm talking to you."
"Kamsi, I came here for peace and quiet."
"Really? When this is all your fault?"
"My fault?" He sat up straight, "what's so wrong if you had just told me at least one of the answers? What happened to helping a friend out in need?"
"And what happened to not putting your friend in difficult situations? What happened to being the best of yourself so you won't be a burden to your so-called friend?"
He laughed sardonically, "Oh, so I'm now a burden?"
"I didn't mean it like that. Daniel, you can't play around when everyone's reading and then expect magic to happen during exams. You read for yourself."
"No, I get it. I'm a burden."
"Daniel." Her voice hitched, betraying her shaky emotions. He looked at her.
"Kamsi," He sighed, seeing her tears, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Come here."