1

The atmosphere in the bar was thick with a mixture of celebration and sorrow. While some were reveling in the aftermath of the Fourth Great Shinobi War, Banri Akuji found himself drowning in the pain of loss. He sat alone at the counter, a drink in his hand, trying to find solace in the numbing effects of alcohol.

Naruto Uzumaki, with Team 7 in tow, had entered the bar to celebrate his newfound adulthood and the end of the war. He couldn't help but notice Banri's striking red hair that cascaded almost to the ground, drawing his attention like a flame in the darkness.

Curiosity and concern gnawed at Naruto as he felt a strange pull towards the red-haired stranger. He knew that approaching someone in such a state could be delicate, but he couldn't ignore the urge to reach out.

With a deep breath, Naruto made his way over to where Banri sat, hesitating for a moment before introducing himself.

"Hey there," Naruto said with a friendly smile, extending his hand. "I'm Naruto Uzumaki."

Banri rolled his eyes, not bothering to shake Naruto's hand. "Yeah, everyone knows who you are," he retorted, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "If anyone doesn't, they must be a fool."

Naruto was taken aback by the bitterness and contempt in Banri's voice. He hadn't expected such a reaction and wasn't sure how to respond.

"Sorry if I bothered you," Naruto said, trying to keep his tone light despite the sting of Banri's words.

Banri glanced at Naruto with a mix of annoyance and resignation. "It's not just you," he muttered. "I'm not exactly in the mood for company."

Naruto nodded, understanding that Banri needed some space. But he couldn't just walk away, not when he sensed the depth of pain in the other man.

"I get it," Naruto said, his voice gentle. "But sometimes talking to someone can help, you know?"

Banri scoffed, taking a sip of his drink. "Talking doesn't change anything. It won't bring them back," he replied bitterly. "I'm going to crawl into the bottle, maybe alcohol poisoning would bring death to my door." 

Naruto frowned and reached out to grab his hand. "Don't-" 

"Get your hands off of me," Banri growled lowly. "I don't want anyone accusing me of attacking a hero," He spat. Naruto wanted to flinch as the oppressive energy Banri leaked was making it hard to breathe. 

"You're not alone-" 

"I am alone," Banri snapped. "That's why I'm here. Do you honestly believe that people with good company come to a bar alone? Just go back to your friends and leave me the hell alone. You didn't lose your entire world." 

Banri pulled his hand back and slammed some money on the counter before heading out of the bar leaving Naruto with a troubled expression. Naruto Uzumaki couldn't shake the feeling of concern that gnawed at him when he saw Banri's distant expression in the bar. His friends enjoyed the celebration, but Naruto focused on the red-haired shinobi. Kurama's warning through their mental link only intensified his worry.

Banri Akuji stood alone in a secluded corner of the training ground, the weight of his sorrow and survivor's guilt bearing down on him like an oppressive cloud. He didn't know why he had come here, away from the bar's lively atmosphere, but the pain was too much to bear. The celebration of victory in the Fourth Great Shinobi War felt hollow, and meaningless in the face of the loss he had endured.

As he gazed at the kunai in his hand, the idea of ending his own suffering became more appealing with every passing moment. He felt like a curse, a dark omen that brought death to those he cared about. The war had taken everything from him, leaving him with nothing but grief and regret.

Deciding to follow his instincts, Naruto excused himself from the festivities and quietly left the bar. He couldn't ignore the unsettling thoughts that Banri might be contemplating something dangerous. In his heart, Naruto knew that he couldn't stand by and let anyone suffer in silence, especially when they were in such a dark place.

Naruto found Banri standing alone at the secluded training ground, the kunai glinting ominously in his hand. The sight sent a chill down Naruto's spine, and he approached cautiously.

"Banri," Naruto called out softly, not wanting to startle him. "Hey, it's me, Naruto."

Banri turned his gaze towards Naruto, his eyes filled with a mixture of surprise and contempt. "What do you want?" he asked, his voice laced with bitterness.

Naruto took a step closer, not deterred by the harsh tone. "You don't have to be alone with all this pain."

Banri scoffed, looking away. "What do you care?" he muttered. "You don't know me. Nobody does."

Naruto's heart ached at the pain he sensed in Banri's words. "Maybe I don't know you, but I know what it's like to carry pain," he said. "And I also know that you don't have to face it alone."

"I'm cursed," Banri said, his voice trembling. "Everyone around me dies, but I'm still here. What's the point?"

Naruto took a deep breath, steeling himself against the weight of Banri's words. "You're not cursed," he said firmly. "Life can be cruel, and war even more so, but it doesn't mean you're meant to suffer. There are people who care about you, even if you don't realize it."

Banri's eyes welled up with tears as he looked at Naruto. "You don't understand," he said, his voice breaking. "I don't deserve to live when everyone I cared about is gone."

Naruto took another step closer, determination in his eyes. "Nobody deserves to feel like that," he said. "You're not alone, Banri. We can face this pain together."

Banri's grip on the kunai tightened and with a flash slashed his own throat. Naruto's eyes widened in horror as the blood gushed from the wound. Naruto clamped his hand around the wound as Banri went lax against the tree they were talking under. "I don't want to live anymore," His voice was harsh due to the slash and he winced when Naruto activated his Kurama chakra cloak that was healing the wound on his neck. He knew the active spike in chakra would bring several shinobi here and he didn't want them to see Banri in such a venerable state. Once the wound was gone he deactivated the cloak and picked up the redhead before flash-stepping to his new home to make him rest. 

Throughout the night, Naruto stayed by Banri's side, keeping a watchful eye on his fragile form. The weight of responsibility settled heavily on Naruto's shoulders, but he was willing to bear it if it meant helping Banri find the strength to carry on.

As the first rays of sunlight crept into the apartment, Banri stirred, his eyelids fluttering open. Naruto was relieved to see him awake, but he knew there were still difficult conversations that needed to be had.

"Hey," Naruto said softly, offering a small smile. "You're awake."

Banri looked at Naruto, his eyes filled with a mix of emotions - shame, embarrassment, and lingering darkness that was hard to shake off. "I'm sorry," Banri whispered, his voice barely audible.

"You don't have to apologize," Naruto replied gently. "I'm just glad you're okay."

Banri shook his head, tears welling up in his eyes. "I don't know why you even bothered to save me," he said. "I'm just a burden, a curse."

Naruto's heart ached at Banri's words. He could feel the weight of Banri's self-loathing and knew that it would take time and patience to help him heal.

"You're not a burden, Banri," Naruto said firmly. "And you're definitely not a curse. You're a person, a shinobi, and you matter."

Banri looked away, unable to meet Naruto's gaze. "I don't know if I can go on," he admitted, his voice trembling.

Naruto reached out, placing a hand on Banri's shoulder. "It's okay to feel that way," he said. "But you don't have to face this pain alone. I'm here for you, and so are others."

Banri's eyes filled with tears as he looked at Naruto, vulnerability and fear etched on his face. "I don't know if I can be saved," he whispered.

Naruto's grip on Banri's shoulder tightened. "It's okay to ask for help," he said. "We all need help sometimes. You don't have to carry this burden alone."

Banri started crying as Naruto leaned over to hug him tightly.