Chapter Fourteen•Waiting on a War

Start from the beginning

The two embraced as Eliza walked out of their dorm room. She took a cab to the airport, and went through the process of boarding a plane. She sat down in her seat and pulled out the book she packed to read during the trip. She tried to focus on the words written on the pages, but she found her mind wondering about all the things she might find once the plane landed.

Once she got off of the plane, she headed to the bathroom to make sure she looked acceptable before going to see Dave for the first time in two months.

She took her hair out of the messy bun that it was in and ran through it with her fingers. She straightened out her navy blue t-shirt and took a deep breath. Whatever she was about to find she knew that she had to stay strong. She could handle whatever was hiding between those hotel room doors.

She gathered her luggage and headed out of the airport. She hailed a taxi and gave the driver the address of the hotel that the boys were staying at. She got the name of it from Paul, since there always seemed to be an excuse as to why none of the boys would give it to her.

After about a half hour drive, they pulled into the parking lot of a hotel. She thanked that driver and paid him, then gathered her luggage out of the trunk.

She walked through the lobby and headed towards the three rooms that Paul had told her the boys were occupying. She took a deep breath before knocking on the door of the first one she found.

After a second, the door flung open, and she was now face to face with Pete.

"Hey Eliza! Come here." He said happily, tucking her into a strong embrace. "I can't believe you came all the way out here."

"Yeah, well, I missed my boys." She could tell that Pete was happy to see her, but there was also something making him nervous.

"Eliza! You actually came." Franz said, coming around the corner to give her a hug. She could tell his tone was a mixture of disbelief and worry.

"I did. Where's Dave?" She asked, peeking around the corner to see if she could spot him.

"Oh, he's in the next room over. Come here, I'll show you." Franz headed off to the room on the right of theirs, and walked into it without even knocking. He turned around and shut the door behind him before she could even step into the room. Eliza was confused by his actions, but that was all wiped away when she locked eyes with Dave.

"Oh, sweetheart." He said, his face lighting up once he saw her. He ran out of the room into the hallway, and swept her up into a tight hug. She stayed in his arms for as long as she could before Franz cleared his throat, reminding the two of them that he was still present.

"Oh piss off, Franz. Can we get a little alone time?" Dave asked, looking over Eliza's shoulder to reprimand his friend.

"Whatever you say, Dave. Just watch yourself." Franz said, shrugging and walking off.

"What did he mean by that?" Eliza asked as Dave pulled her back into his arms.

"Oh, it's nothing. Franz is always so protective. Don't worry about it, love."

And there they stood, holding each other in the hallway of the hotel, just reminding themselves of how good it felt to hold one another. She could feel Dave taking in the scent of her hair, and she took note of how his breath smelled like cigarette smoke.

"You guys have a show tonight?" Eliza asked, pulling away from their hug. She already knew the answer was yes, as she had their touring schedule practically memorized, but it was a good conversation starter.

"Yes, and of course you're coming." He smiled. "I've missed being able to look over at you while I'm playing."

"I've missed you so much, Dave."