1.8 chapter eight

Start from the beginning

    "Yeah, she was. . ." Jenny trailed off at the end of her sentence, stepping aside to reveal who was standing behind her. Amelia couldn't help but drop her fork, the sound of it clanging against her plate filling the space of the loft.

     "Hi, Rufus." Alison Humphrey stepped into the loft, shocking the said man. "Amelia." Amelia pressed her lips into a thin line after the initial shock of seeing the woman back settled.

     "Alison." His tone was harsh. "What are you doing here?"

     "Well, I asked her to come." Jenny answered for her mom. "You know, I thought
you guys could. . . Talk." Jenny paused, noting the silence between her parents. "Or not. Okay, dad, Iknow it wasn't my place to ask mom to come back—"

     "—Jenny—"

     "—It's your life. I get that,but it's my life, too, and it's dan's, and I just felt that nothing's ever gonna change if someone doesn't do something—"

     "—Jenny!" Rufus exclaimed, cutting Jenny's ramble off. "Stop. Breathe. I'm not angry."

     Jenny wore a puzzled look. "You're not?" Amelia found herself just as puzzled as Jenny. She had expected for the Humphrey man to hold a grudge against his daughter for meddling in his love life. In fact, he was taking accountability. He let Dan and Jenny watch the parent trap way to many times to be surprised that Jenny had lured Alison back.

     Rufus shook his head at his daughter. "Not at you."

     "Well you can't get un-angry at mom if she's in hudson, and you're here, dad. I mean, nothing's ever gonna change if you're not in the same room. Can't you just give it a chance?" Amelia opted to remain silence as Jenny carried the conversation. It was obviously a family matter which she had no say in.

     "Not on an empty stomach. Come. I'll make us breakfast. Who wants waffles?" Alison headed towards the kitchen, throwing a look over to her husband. "I mean,you do still
like waffles, right, Rufus?"

     "You know me, Al. I'm a loyal guy. Once I commit to something, I stick with it." Rufus fired. Amelia's mouth almost fell open at the snide comment, and she had to choke back a laugh.

     "I'll get the syrup." Amelia announced, taking any excuse to get away from the now terribly awkward and uncomfortable atmosphere of the loft. She quickly returned, aiding the cooking of the waffles.

Soon enough the three were sitting in painful silence, eating waffles. Somehow Amelia still had room for more, she wasn't even sure herself now that was even possible. Luckily for them all, Dan entered through the front door, cutting the silence.

"Hey, dad. Jenny, Amelia." Dan greeted, his eyes finally falling on his mother. "And— and mom."

Alison waved at her son. "Hi, honey."

Dan wore a look of bewilderment, confusion clouding his expression. "Well, look at this. The whole family's, and Amelia, together. . . Eating waffles."

Amelia held a plate out for the buzzcut teen, offering him a waffle. "Want one?"

"You bet." He replied. "Just one question. Am I the only one who thinks
this is extremely weird? I-I mean, given everything."