I listened to her instructions attentively but didn't respond much because I knew I wouldn't need it since he would not return any time soon. The ongoing AI project that the company was currently working on needed a few years to complete, and probably he would not be here for at least three to four months until the last quarter of this year, so I considered myself safe for the time being. I can prepare myself to face him in three months.

But my composure went down the drain when I received a group message notification from the company, informing the employees that the president would be returning on Monday, and there would be a meeting with the heads of departments. It was Saturday today, which meant he was returning just a day after tomorrow.

Panic surged within me as my heart rate increased. How am I going to face him after all these years?!

Just as my emotions were going haywire, the only thought that was swirling in my head was to back out. My best friend entered the hospital room quietly. One glance at me, and she immediately sensed my abnormal state.

"What's going on? Did something happen?" She asked softly, while taking a seat beside me on the couch.

"Ares is returning from the US!" I gulped and stated quietly, making sure not to wake mom up.

"Is that so?" She asked rather seriously, but her eyes were expectant and showed clear amusement.

"Don't do that, Beastie! I can see those eyes enjoying all this," I said exasperated. I was anxious, nervous, and my heart didn't seem to calm down. But here she was, looking excited.

"Don't call me that!" She scowled. It was my turn to be amused. She hated that nickname since high school.

"But honestly, isn't it good that he is returning? You would be seeing the love of your life after how many years...?" Now she was making it dramatic intentionally. I rolled my eyes, earning an amused chuckle from her.

"Hah! I don't love him anymore," I blurted. Her chuckle turned into a full-blown laugh, which she barely stopped with a hand on her mouth.

"This was the best joke I had ever heard, nice one Ely," she replied. My cheeks flushed crimson in embarrassment. Why does she always have to catch my words like that?

I huffed and turned my face away. "Oh come on! Come here," she wrapped her arms around me and started cooing me like a child.

"I'm not a baby, Beastie. I'm freaking twenty-nine years old," I complained but still rested my head on her shoulder comfortably.

"Of course you are! But you're innocent and clear like a baby," she stroked my hair lightly and turned serious.

"That's the reason you worry me, Ely. You're too naive for this cruel world. I can protect you from others, but how am I going to protect you from yourself? You know Elysia! If it was possible, you would have been happily married with kids by now, but you're one of those rare people who give their hearts only once and when they do, it's for a lifetime. Ares may be a nice guy, but he doesn't deserve you, especially after everything that happened in our high school and then college. You're far too good for him..." She sighed.

"But, I want to see you happy, and if he is the only one who can make it possible, then so be it. Don't you think it's time for you to stop hiding and face him now?" She turned my face to look into her eyes. "Nineteen years, Ely! Nineteen years are a very long time to love someone exclusively, without even confessing it," I immediately lowered my gaze guiltily as I felt my eyes getting misty.

"No, silly! Don't blame yourself. I know what you have been through, and I understand why you did what you did back then, but I want you to try this time, for yourself and for happiness... Happiness that you truly deserve." I hugged her silently.

'Happiness that I truly deserve...'

Her words echoed in my head. Do I really deserve it? Would it be okay for me to try and be happy for once?

'You will never be happy in this lifetime, you wretched wh**e!' a shrilled feminine voice rang in my head.

Closing my eyes, I tightened my arms around her. I needed her embrace, her comfort, and the sense of safety that only she and Sven could provide.

'We are stronger than we think!' I repeated in my head like a mantra.

*************

It was 7:00 A.M. on Sunday, but I was already in the office. I couldn't sleep last night, thinking about everything, and I came to a decision.

Facing him was inevitable, but I could at least work on extending the time span of our encounter. So, I decided to complete all my work and arrange things for tomorrow. That way, he wouldn't need me as long as he got the important documents in his office.

I arranged everything and all the important files on his desk. I was almost done arranging the files on the shelf according to their importance when a deep and stern voice echoed in the office.

"...Elysia Lawson!"

I jolted, "-AH!" The sudden unexpected voice sent a shock through my body, causing the files to slip from my grip and scatter across the floor.

This voice...

Familiar yet strangely different. I turned around in shock. Ares was always cold, but there was a sternness in his voice that I hadn't heard before. Memories stirred within me, and it suddenly reminded me of something. Something very dark... Something that I had buried deep inside of me.

My eyes widened like saucers as I stared at the only man I had ever loved. His face had matured with age, but it was still the Ares I remembered.

Everything seemed the same, except for his gaze. It was then I realized that he was not the same man I used to know as Ares Simon Knight. The reality hit me harder than I expected.

What else did I expect?

Time changes and so do people...

"We don't have all day, Elysia Lawson!" He stated, sounding bored, snapping me back to reality.

"Um, I... I, uh, am the assistant. Executive assistant, sir!" I clutched my clothes anxiously and replied. He furrowed his eyebrows, glaring at me sharply.

"You mean, you're the one they hired as the new executive assistant?" He asked, looking straight into my eyes.

I nodded softly and lowered my gaze, breaking the eye contact.

"You may leave!" He spoke after a while. I immediately moved and almost rushed towards the office door, forgetting about the files on the floor. I wanted to be out of here as well.

Just as I reached the door, I heard his stern voice, stopping me in my tracks. "You may go home, you're fired, Elysia Lawson!"

Shock! Rejection! Hurt!

That's what I felt at the moment. I was not even worth being his employee...

**************

I'm sorry lovelies for late and delayed updates. I'm facing a writer block while writing this book and as soon as I overcome the issue, I would update twice or thrice a week.

If you have any suggestions or ideas you would like to share, please feel free to enlighten me...