The Knave of Hearts - Part 9 - Sherlock x Reader

"Are you alright, (Y/n)?" Bess asked, as the door closed behind the tall, slender, man. The blacksmith's daughter rushing over to her friend, as she took a seat in the nook of the large window. The dark-haired young woman taking the ladies hands in hers.

(Y/n)'s head was swimming. It had been a stressful day, one that she hadn't expected, filled with all manner of emotions and shocks. It was one thing to suddenly learn that Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson would be coming to the ball that her father was having thrown for her. It was one thing having to deal with Joshua Caine; after all, it was not the first time that they had had a run in. But then there had been the man..............the consulting detective pushing to know what had happened when she was taken. It all feeling a little much..........

"(Y/n)..............?"

"What.........Oh, yes, I'm fine.............." The lady finally replied. Doing her best to shake off the day's events.

"Never mind me.........how did you enjoy your little tête-à-tête in the kitchen with the lovely doctor...........?" (Y/n) chuckled. Her smile getting broader, as Bess blushed.

"He........he's just a very sweet man. We only had tea and talked............."

"Talked about what..........? Whether he was a single man...........?"

"(Y/n)! No..............And anyway, what about you and Mister Holmes...........?"

"There is no me and Mister Holmes. I believe that Sherlock is interested in nothing but his work. In that respect, he and his brother seem to have much in common. I wonder if Sherlock frequents the Diogenes Club too.............no, I believe that one of the criteria for admittance to that particular establishment, is that you have to over a hundred." (Y/n) giggled, doing her best to take Bess' thoughts away from her and Sherlock. The lady not really wanting to go into anything that they had discussed. Not wanting to upset or distress her friend. That, and she wanted to take her own mind off it. To take her thoughts off the younger Holmes. (Y/n) having to admit she did find him attractive, though a little aloof. That even though he seemed somewhat cold, distant, there was something behind those remarkable eyes of his. Something that suggested to her at least, that he really did care about what had happened to her; about what could happen to her.

"He did mention one thing though..............." (Y/n) continued. Her tone suddenly become a little more serious.

"What..............?"

"He said that he would help protect me from Caine............" The lady explained. Bess pulling (Y/n) into her arms.

Both of them knew Joshua of old. His father had been the local poacher. Samuel Caine quite a legend in those parts. A rough violent man that would take out his drunken temper out on his poor wife and son. But as Joshua grew, it became obvious that the son was following in his father's footsteps, in more ways than one. The hurt boy, becoming the one that would hurt others, becoming all too busy with his fists and joining his father in his illegal enterprises. And it was then that he had first shown signs of being more than a little interested in (Y/n). The young man punished on more than one occasion by his father for watching the lady, when he should have been checking on the traps for game. For following her to the stables, for following her everywhere. His father finally making Joshua join the army when the rumours had spread that he had found himself a little too close to the young lady. (Y/n) only ever telling Bess that he had tried to force himself on her that day. The two girls relieved when he had gone. Yet that joy was soon soured when he returned far too soon. (Y/n)'s father seeming to be happy to give Joshua another chance. Seeming to be impressed by the man's service. The younger Caine though making it obvious that he was as obsessed with the lady as he had always been. Bess always doing her best to make sure that her friend was never alone with him.

"That's wonderful. Perhaps he can make your father see what kind of man Joshua is. Perhaps we will finally be rid of him.............."

"Yes. I think that despite himself, Sherlock Holmes is actually quite a nice man. And he is going to have police from Scotland Yard take over security here until after the ball. That Chief Inspector Lestrade, the man that helped my father while Mycroft did his best to get me back, will be taking over. My father should see then that we don't need Joshua. That there are far better men that could do the job." (Y/n) smiled, as Bess leaned in and kissed her on the cheek.

"Yes, I am sure that he will. I am sure that Mister Holmes will persuade your father. Now, why don't we get a little air, before it gets too dark? I am sure that you are still looking a little peaky." Bess agreed. (Y/n) chuckling at how her friend would fuss; but agreeing anyway.

                                                           >>-----------------------------------<<

A figure sat in the darkest part of the pub. While in the village, he had heard rumours; rumours that had made his blood boil. The man determined to get to the bottom of things, quickly finding just the man that he had wanted, propping up the bar. He had been listening to a younger man complain since he had stepped foot into the establishment. His complaints getting louder the more that he drank. The blonde shouting out a name that had most definitely caught the visitor's attention. Ranting that he was going to make him lose his job; that he thought that he was better than him. That he was going to get the police up from London to watch the hall. But it was when the stumbling fool had mentioned her name, that the visitor to the village had sat up straight. A small smile pulling at the very corners of his lips, as he thought about what he was going to do. About what he was going to do to show her that he was going to protect her. That he would always protect her. And that she would always be his..............