Below the surface - Part 2 - Greg x Reader

Greg had watched as all manner of equipment, mostly things that looked like cutting tools of one kind or another were shipped out to where the dive team were below the surface of the dirty river. Yet even though he had hoped that (Y/n) would appear again soon, she and the others were still down there. Greg wishing with every passing minute that someone would tell him something. That he could have a direct line to (Y/n) just to make sure that she was ok.

He knew he had it bad. That he had fallen and fallen hard. But he couldn't help himself. For despite the fact that he and (Y/n) had never really put a name to what was going on between them. Even though they had never really said anything to anyone else, from the moment they had met, Greg had felt something, and it was something strong. Admittedly, he had worried; after what his ex-wife had done to him, what she had put him through, he hadn't wanted to jump feet first into another relationship. But (Y/n) had seemed happy to take things slow. Happy to go out with him occasionally and have fun; to just spend time with him and listen when he needed someone. And during that time, he had realised that he couldn't live without her. That he wanted to put a name to their relationship. That he wanted to tell everyone, admit what he felt; though the detective inspector was happy that he hadn't had to see Sherlock too much recently, Greg sure that the consulting detective would take great delight in spilling more of his secrets to anyone that was in the earshot. That he would declare more about the fact that he was with the most wonderful woman in the world, before Greg could.

"Sir............" A voice called out again. Greg turning to see the man from before. The pebbles of the riverbank crunching under his feet, as he made his way over to the superior officer.

"The skipper says that they are on their way up now." The man informed him, pointing to the spot in the river. Two men on a boat pulling up a black body bag from the river. Greg finding himself breathing a sigh of relief, as he saw the dive helmets appear from the murky water. Not sure at that moment which one was (Y/n), but just happy to know that nothing had gone wrong. His nerves easing a little as he watched the divers clamber up onto the back of the launch.

                                                          >>----------------------------------<<

"Detective Inspector Lestrade." (Y/n) said cheerily, as she and the rest of her team got back to the bank. The group having removed their helmets and tanks before the body in the bag was brought to the shore and placed in the crime scene tent.

"Fancy seeing you here." She continued, as she made her way over to him. The pair then making their way into the tent. (Y/n) bending down and slowly pulling the zip on the black bag; opening it to reveal its contents. To water from the river spilling out all over the stones. Greg, despite the gory scene, wishing that he could pull her into his arms and tell her that he was glad that she was alright.

"You know.........sir, you sure know how to show a girl a good time. Personally, I would have been happy with an invitation to your place, a bottle of wine and snuggling into your side as we watched a movie. But instead.............I get this." (Y/n) added, as she got back to her feet and stood by Greg's side.

"Well, I was thinking about something like that later. But for now..........."

"Yeah, you're right. Business before pleasure..............I don't know what else you got from the informant, Greg, but this was something different. The guy had rebar wrapped around his legs, and then that rebar was set in some nice blocks of cement. That is no easy task, and that was why we needed the magnesium torch to cut him out. I would say the chances of this guy breaking free and floating to the surface in the near future, was very small. But it seems that whoever dropped him in there wanted to make sure, as there seems to be several puncture wounds around his belly." (Y/n) pointed out, as the two officers looked down at the body.

"Oh and if this scene, reminiscent of prohibition Chicago wasn't odd enough, we have a little something extra." The dive supervisor continued, as she bent down once again, and pulled back the side of the man's shit to reveal a pattern that appeared to have been poorly cut into his flesh.

"What..........what's that..................?"

"Well, I'm no expert, but I would say that that is a pentagram. Now, I know that I'm not your friend, Sherlock Holmes, but I would say that that was just one of those pesky little red herring things. I doubt that some kids, dressed up in black capes and silly masks dancing up and down in Epping Forest, thinking they are hard by calling on the big red gut with a pitchfork, would have with them the equipment you need to bend that rebar then get him all the way here and drop him in the river. But what do I know.............I left a couple of guys down there to see if they can find anything else around where we found this guy. So.............." The dive skipper finished. She and Greg moving out of the way, as the scene of crime officers made their way inside.

"Anyway, sir. Looks like my work here is done. I better go and debrief my guys." (Y/n) shrugged, as she turned to look at Greg.

"Oh, and sir............."

"Yes.....................?"

"Don't forget that bottle of wine and snuggle later." The diver said quietly. Quickly giving Greg's lips a soft kiss before she left the tent. The cheesy grin on Greg's face fading, as he heard the voice of Sherlock calling the constables all manner of names, and John apologising for it.