Pitter patter - Part 4 - Sherlock x Reader

The journey to Baker Street had gone without barely a word being said between the three passengers in the back of the vehicle. (Y/n)'s eyes focused firmly on the streets of London as they moved past the window, her hand tightly gripping at Mary's.

The Watsons couldn't help but periodically look at one another. It was true that John had thought about trying to break the heavy silence on more than one occasion but given that every time he had opened his mouth, Mary had shaken her head; the doctor had thought better of it and simply nodded in agreement as she had given him a look.

He could only imagine what was going on in the female detective's mind. Discovering that you were pregnant was one thing to take in, but to find out that you were pregnant after being told for so long that you couldn't have children, must have been even more to come to terms with. And on top of that, there was Sherlock factor. It was true to say that his friend viewed the world and the people in it differently to how others did. That he was a law unto himself and did and said whatever he wanted without thought or feeling for others or the expectations of society, but John doubted that (Y/n)'s worst beliefs would come true. In fact, he was sure that once he had got over the shock, the younger Holmes would actually, and surprisingly, make a good father. That if (Y/n) could make him love. Could make him feel and surrender to sentiment and his emotions like other human beings, then a child............he could only imagine what a child would do. What a little one could do to both of the Holmes boys. John having a weird feeling that a baby could be beneficial for Mycroft too. That being an uncle, might just warm the heart of the iceman. Although that was what he hoped. All they could do was get to Baker Street and let (Y/n) tell Sherlock the news. What happened after that would really be up to them.

"Here." The driver of the black cab called out, as they pulled to a stop next to the pavement outside the black front door. (Y/n) scrambling around in her bag to find her wallet so that she could pay the fair. Not even having realised that they had driven all that way.

"Its ok (Y/n). Let John take care of that. Let's get you some air." Mary told her, as she opened the door. John nodding in agreement, as his wife helped the detective from the vehicle, and he handed the man the money. The three of them standing in the cool evening air just looking up at the old building for a moment.

"You ready?" Mary enquired catching (Y/n)'s attention. The detective replying with a weak nod and an even weaker smile before she finally moved to the front door. Opening it slowly to reveal Misses Hudson; the older woman giving her a big smile, before her eyes fell on the Watsons.

"Doctor Watson..........Mary, how nice to see you..............." The landlady called out cheerily, as the trio made their way inside. Her brows furrowing slightly as she saw the look on (Y/n)'s face.

"(Y/n), dear. What is it..............? What's happened............" Misses Hudson enquired, as she took the detectives hands in hers. (Y/n) not knowing what to say to the older woman that she had come to care for so much since she had moved into Sherlock's flat.

The first time that Sherlock had wandered off into his mind palace, (Y/n) hadn't quite known what to do with herself, especially after she had done all the work she needed to do; so, she had made her way out of the flat to find Misses Hudson looking up the stairs at her, asking if she would like to join her for tea and a good old gossip. (Y/n) smiling herself at the notion of having someone else to converse with other than Sherlock. Happily accepting the invitation. And so, it had continued. Whenever Sherlock would vanish into a world of his own or take over the kitchen...............ok, the entire flat, she would find refuge with the landlady. The detective always enjoying her time with her. Not realising until this moment that she had come to view the housekeeper as a kind of mother figure, one that she had never really had. Misses Hudson looking to the Watsons as (Y/n) moved into to hold her. The older lady quickly hugging her back.

"There, there my dear. Whatever it is I am sure that between you and Sherlock.............."

"I have something...........something important to tell Sherlock. And........and I think that I would like you to be there when I tell him. I mean.........I mean you should know.........shouldn't you? I know Sherlock cares for you as much as I do and its only right.............."

"(Y/n)............" John interrupted, smiling softly, as the detective turned to look at him. (Y/n) apologising for rambling before turning to the staircase and slowly making her way up it, with the ever-growing entourage behind her. The doctor assuring Misses Hudson that there was nothing amiss, and that all would be revealed in a moment. Yet as they reached the door to the flat, the front door to the house flew open to reveal Mycroft and Greg. The pair stopping their conversation as they saw the group at the top of the staircase.

"Oh well, what the hell. The more the merrier. Might as well tell the whole family at once." (Y/n) sighed to herself, as the duo made their way to join them. Greg giving her a big smile, before she opened the door to find Sherlock on the other side, stood there expectantly. Quite surprised to see not only (Y/n), John and Mary, but also Misses Hudson, his brother and Geoff. The consulting detective looking straight to his lover, as he saw the nervous look on her face.