Chapter Twenty: Planning

I froze, unsure how to respond. The words weren't necessarily unexpected, but I flinched all the same.

My kind does not help sorcerers, Lady Artemis, the voice continued. No matter the conditions.

Do you know the conditions? I asked, letting a bit of desperation creep into my voice.

No, but I don't need to. Nothing would be a good enough reason to help a sorcerer. Now, if you don't mind, I'll be–

Please, I interrupted. I need you to understand. If you don't help me, the Olympians may succeed in kicking us out.

An angry, red sensation filled my mind with the response. To heck with the Olympians! the Wandjina exclaimed, but I could sense a burning hate in the back of their mind, influencing the words. I could tell I'd struck a nerve.

I can keep them at bay if I am in control of Zeliaras. I felt a bit uncomfortable making such a promise, especially to a powerful magician like a Wandjina, but I needed their help. And once I was in control, I felt at least somewhat confident in my ability to keep the Olympians out of magical Earth. And once I had my magic back . . .

Zeliaras? the Wandjina asked, and the question surprised me. Had the Wandjina been isolated for so long that they'd never heard of Zeliaras?

My family's kingdom, I answered, my voice hesitant. Well, our fortress. We . . . we unofficially govern the magical world. When my mother was in control, Earth was safe for magicians. But now, my father is in charge, and he is weak, so the Olympians are no longer afraid.

I . . . see, the Wandjina said. And that is where you get your title of "Lady", then.

Correct. I assume you see it in my mind, and that that is how you knew my entire name before I had the chance to introduce myself?

Yes. The Wandjina sounded almost amiable, though for anyone else I would have called the tone gruff. I did not plunge deeper than your current thoughts.

Thank you, I said. It probably wouldn't have been that big of a deal if the Wandjina had gone deeper into my memories, but memories were private things, and I didn't want just anyone to see them. Even if it probably would have helped our case if the Wandjina had seen some of it.

You're welcome. The Wandjina did not seem particularly welcome, especially since their next words were laced with a venom that I'd only heard the likes of in Father. The Olympians are cruel, powerful tyrants. What can three three-year-olds do against them?

We are more powerful than you think.

Hmm. The Wandjina didn't seem convinced. You have no magic, Lady Artemis. Your sister is imprisoned, and you are a convict of the magical world. I see in your memories that you were falsely accused, but you are not in a good position.

That is why we need help, I insisted, trying to hide my annoyance that the Wandjina had searched my memories without permission. A simple piece of information. A few questions, and we'll be on our way.

The Wandjina seemed to consider, which was progress. But I wouldn't be satisfied until we had the answers we wanted. What do I get out of this? the Wandjina inquired, the tone less irritable than before.