Chapter Six: Isla

I froze in horror, feeling a streak of silver flash through my hair. No way had he just guessed my name right.

And yet, the smug look on the jinn's face confirmed my worst fears.

I ran through our bargain in my head, hoping there was a loophole.

There wasn't–no way I could lie. As a jinni, he would know.

We'd made a bet–he'd won, and I'd lost. Now I would have to pay.

"Give me your power," the jinni said, a smirk creeping up on his face that made me want to scream.

I gritted my teeth. This was so embarrassing. But I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and focused on my powers. I thought of my telepathy, and everything I could do with it. I thought of Zoolinguism, and all my normal sorcerer abilities. When I was sure my concentration was wrapped around it all, I shoved it out of my mind, toward the jinni.

He took a step back as the force hit him, and then I felt my power leave the air between us as he absorbed it into himself.

I stumbled back and gasped. The pain was almost unbearable. It felt like what I imagined losing a limb would feel like. How was I supposed to go on without it?

The pain faded after a few seconds, but I felt my hands clench into fists and my hair turn an even brighter silver. I knew it was my fault–I'd made the bargain–but it still made me furious. That power was mine.

But for now, it had to be his.

I would have to put up with the sickeningly smug smile as the jinni turned away, mumbling to himself about how this was the best bargain he'd ever made.

That was the worst bargain I've ever made, I grumbled, though I didn't say it out loud.

"Good-bye," the jinni said far too cheerfully.

"Bad-bye," I replied, and Lexie snorted a laugh. I knew I was being a sore loser, but seriously. I was allowed to lose my temper sometimes. Right?

As soon as the jinni was out of earshot, Apollo and Lexie both said, "I'm sorry."

I turned away. "It's my fault. I shouldn't have been so reckless."

"You shouldn't have," Lexie agreed. "But it wasn't a great deal in the first place."

I gritted my teeth, forcing myself to think clearly. "We still need to find Laurelia and Isla."

There was a moment of silence before Apollo asked the question I was dreading. "How?"

I rubbed my arm. "If we can't get legal transport, we're going to need to steal a boat."

That one," I whispered, pointing to a thirty-foot power boat. From where I crouched, just outside the gate to the marina, it looked strong enough to cross the Mediterranean.

"We'll need fuel, right?" Apollo asked.

I gritted my teeth, cursing myself for missing that crucial detail. "Yep. But I don't know much about boats. Where can we get fuel?" I followed his gaze to a small kiosk that was very clearly selling fuel. Seriously, was my lack of magic affecting my perception?

"I'll get the fuel," Apollo whispered. He snapped his fingers and disappeared. As he walked away, I felt a stab in my chest. I may never be able to do that again.