Chapter 9: Yolanda

Chapter 9: Yolanda

The Mark Board Member's Headquarters

Yolanda stepped on marble tiles paid for with taxpayer money. She sauntered to her office, slammed the door behind her, and sat on a child-sized leather chair.

Cavalier Low walked into the office and handed her paperwork.

She glared at him and pointed for him to leave.

He fled, but he climbed through an air condition vent and hid in a storage closet.

Yolanda used a wall-sized Com screen instead of the smaller Com tablet. A man appeared on the viewscreen. He scratched his Tiger-ears, knocking a ridiculous brass crown off his head.

She kicked her desk. "If your son marries an ugly sinner, tactless men will follow his lead. Our attempts to kill him failed. His money could fund our operation for years. We're running out of ugly girls to sell."

"Ella is the revolutionary, not Zeda."

"She would never go against us. She is terrified I'll shove her in a Mark house again." Yolanda stretched her feet on her desk.

"Brill was beautiful, and she betrayed us. Your crew spent days cleaning stupid Brill's blood out of the carpets, but they didn't locate the files," Prince Kyle said.

Cavalier Low snuck through the window. He ran five blocks and found Ella sitting on a park bench. He removed a postcard from his pocket.

*

Dear Cavalier,

If you have received this, then Yolanda has killed me, but she isn't alone. I know she has bragged to you and others because she controls the law.

Love,

Brill

P.S. This postcard was sent from the law office of Mellow and Darcy when proof of life isn't sent every three weeks. We can't send the other postcards until rebels have located information to destroy the board. Ministry agents will be in touch.

*

He tucked the postcard into his suit jacket.

"Why isn't Quincy with you?"

"Quincy is going on a date with Zeda Kind tonight."

"I'm glad he is not here. Ella, I can't give you the information. Yolanda killed Brill before she could give it to me."

"Dozens saw her before she went on vacation." Ella wrinkled her nose. "I received an email from her."

"Women look and dress alike here. Keep this information from Quincy because Yolanda is too Powerful. She will kill him. The Prime Minister knows and can't do anything until we have proof, she broke the treaty with the planet Unicorn Prime."