5.1 - Pizza Pity Party

"Demon King's Love" is updated every Wednesday and Saturday.

Meilin stood in the center of the living room, her eyes lighting up as Ningshun entered

Meilin stood in the center of the living room, her eyes lighting up as Ningshun entered. Her heart skipped a beat at the sight of his changed outfit—a tight, white tank top and jeans. Her eyes traced every contour of his arm muscles and chiseled collarbone.

'Okay, think innocent thoughts. Puppies. Sunshine. Kittens playing with yarn. Anything but those... biceps!' Her hands trembled as she played with the hem of her blouse, the memory of their previous intimate moment still warming her cheeks. 'He probably thinks I'm... He left quickly... Was I too aggressive? Did I scare him? Oh no, what if he hates...'

He furrowed his brows, fixing his eyes on her averted face. Running a hand through his damp hair, he reminded himself of tonight's goal: not to worsen the awkwardness. Clearing his throat, he flashed a charming grin. "Hey, Meilin."

She quickly raised her head, catching him off guard. "Oh, hey!"

"Relax, it's just me," his tone casual with self-assurance. He stepped closer, tilting his head. 'I just have to think of her as... one of the guys. Maybe like... Kaili?'

In his imagination, Meilin's delicate features morphed into Kaili's sharp jawline and chiseled features, like a Picasso painting gone wrong. The absurdity of her softness turning masculine hit him like a pie in the face. He shuddered and let out a startled yelp before recoiling in mock horror.

'BAD IDEA! I'll just... pretend nothing happened! Yeah, that's it. I should be chill about it.' Determined to keep things smooth after his moment of silence, Ningshun opened his mouth to speak but missed his chance. Before he could utter a word, she breezed past him, her gaze fixed on the next person to enter.

"Hey, Kaili!" she exclaimed in an overly friendly tone as she spotted him entering the room. She practically rushed over to Kaili, her movements quick and almost desperate. 'Just focus on others, don't look back. Keep it casual.' She tried to steady her racing heart.

He stared in disbelief as she made a beeline for Kaili, leaving him with a bemused expression. It appeared as though he became invisible in her presence. "Seriously? She's going to play it like that?" he muttered under his breath, briefly clenching his jaw as he tried to keep his cool.

Taking a deep breath, he turned and strode confidently toward the kitchen. But her laughter, so full of joy and life, pulled him back. His brows furrowed, his smooth facade cracking momentarily as Meilin engaged in an animated conversation with Kaili after avoiding him.

"Smooth move," he muttered, a wry smile on his lips as he continued to the table, viewing over twenty different pizzas. 

The delicious smell of pepperoni pizza caught his attention, a tempting mix of smoky, spicy goodness, melted cheese, and a touch of herbs. He grabbed a few slices, treating them like his new best friends, then returned to the living room and sat on the couch.

"Yo," Hooman's voice interrupted his pizza-pity-party, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

Ningshun turned to Hooman, his smile a mix of amusement and irritation. "Hey, what's up?"

Hooman followed Ningshun's gaze to Meilin and Kaili, who were deep in conversation. Kaili gestured wildly as he talked, animated and expressive. "Looks like Kaili's making quite an impression," he remarked, nudging Ningshun.

Ningshun rolled his eyes, casually leaning back. "Yeah, seems like it." His jaw clenched just a bit, his grip tightening around the slice of pizza he had picked up. 'Why is she avoiding me?'

* * * * * * * * * *

"Demon King's Love" is updated every Wednesday and Saturday. If you want to read more often than twice a week, I'll grant "early access" to my Patreon. I publish there as soon as new parts are written.

Patreon.com/AuroraLuxi

Please give me a vote to help out

Please give me a vote to help out. I'll appreciate your help!

Demon King's Love - Copyright © 2023 by Aurora Luxi. All Rights Reserved.