3. Her First Day

"Demon King's Love" is updated every Wednesday and Saturday.

Author's Note: I didn't like that I rushed the beginning, so I'm adding the chapters from before the tournament. We will see more of life in Meilin and Ningshun's human world and Deming's world.

The gaming room hummed with the sound of high-end computers and the excited chatter of team members until they all left, leaving only Ningshun there alone with Meilin, waiting for the coach

The gaming room hummed with the sound of high-end computers and the excited chatter of team members until they all left, leaving only Ningshun there alone with Meilin, waiting for the coach. The place resembled a tech lover's dream, with rows of colorful LED lights, oversized monitors, and walls plastered with posters of famous Esports tournaments.

Meilin felt very nervous, but she kept her chin up. Today represented her only chance to prove herself for a better future, and she could not afford to let her fear get in the way.

The coach, a tall man with a neatly trimmed beard and a buttoned-up shirt, walked up to her with a smile that did not seem very genuine. He reached out to shake her hand. "Meilin, welcome. Glad you could make it. We've heard great things about you."

She shook his hand firmly, keeping her voice calm. "Thank you for having me."

"So, tell me, what makes you think you're a good fit for our team?" the coach asked, his tone polite but with a hint of skepticism that she caught onto.

She paused for a moment to gather her thoughts. "I can... see through what my opponents will do next." The truth was, she could not explain her skills and strategies easily—it felt more like an intuition, a gut feeling that helped her make the right moves.

The coach raised an eyebrow. "Seeing through, huh? That's quite the claim. We'll see if it holds up under pressure."

'I think he just wants to know if I cheat or hack. Why else would he test me if he can see all my matches online?' she pondered, smiling nervously at the coach.

"We have high standards, and we don't take risks with new players unless they really impress us," the coach stated.

Meilin anxiously nodded, taking it all in. She had heard of gaming teams with questionable reputations, but this one seemed like a place with integrity. 'I can't mess this up. This is my one shot to make it. I can't go back to my old life... if I can even call it life.'

The coach glanced at the team leader, who stood with his arms crossed. "Ningshun speaks highly of you, so I hope you're as good as he says."

Ningshun gave her a slight nod and a faint smile. He leaned closer, resting his arms on the desk, and whispered, "I know he looks scary, but trust me, he'll love your game. Just play like you always do." As the company's best player, his support meant a lot to her, and it calmed her nerves.

Inhaling and exhaling a deep breath, she met the coach's gaze. "I'm ready for whatever test you have. Let's do this."

The coach nodded and pointed to her white gaming chair, where she would start the test. As they walked over to the computers, she felt her heart pounding. This was her moment, and she refused to let it slip away.