Chapter 36

"No one's slick as Gaston
No one's quick as Gaston
No one's neck's as incredibly thick as Gaston
For there's no man in town half as manly
Perfect, a pure paragon
You can ask any Tom, Dick or Stanley
And they'll tell you whose team they prefer to be on..."

I finished washing the dishes when I heard Calyx singing his song again for his role play.

Hindi ko maiwasang matulala ulit sa kawalan ng saglit. A distant memory erupted my mind again with the mention of the name but I instantly brushed it off.

I breathed in deeply. It's been a long time since it happened.

I dried my hand with the kitchen towel and looked for him at the sala.

Auntie Sonia and Uncle Fidel were with him, practicing his song again for tomorrow. I can't help but smile while looking at them.

"Okay, one more time, anak!" Uncle encouraged him and he sang again.

Wala akong nagawa kung hindi ang umupo sa tabi nila at panoorin ulit siyang kumanta. He sang well, with all his expressions, hand gestures and his acting. He will perform tomorrow as part of their class performance. And I will, of course, watch it.

Kaya nga ako nagbakasyon sa trabaho para dito. I do not want to miss a thing for him.

I clapped my hands after and he quickly threw his body on me. He isn't a baby anymore and he is heavy, but what can I do?

"Magaling na po ba ako, Mama?" His pearly white teeth are on the show and I can't help but smile and hug him tight.

"Of course, you are the best." I tickled him and he started laughing more.

We continued practicing more hanggang sa kusa na siyang umayaw. Ako na ang nagpatulog sa kanya kalaunan. Napagod siya maghapon sa kakalaro at kaka ensayo para bukas. I carefully laid him down on his bed and fixed his blanket.

I combed his hair softly with my hands and kissed him on the forehead. Inayos ko rin ang lamp shade niya sa sa gilid ng higaan niya. Then, I stood up and looked at him one more time before closing his door.

I went to the kitchen and Uncle and Auntie were still there, sipping their coffee. I joined them and my own coffee was now prepared too.

"Babalik ka na sa Maynila bukas ng gabi?" Uncle asked me.

I nodded. "Kailangan po, may hinahabol po kasi kaming project."

They both sigh heavily. Pero hindi ko mapigilang ngumiti.

"Mag-isa ka na naman doon, Mella. And you won't eat properly again. Para saan pa ang mga kinikita mong pera kung hindi mo man lang mapagbigyan ang sarili mo?" Auntie ranted again. I mean, we are over this topic again.

"Saka na lang po kapag nabayaran ko na mga utang ni Nanay. At para kay Calyx na rin po, kailangan ko pong sikaping makapag trabaho." I tried smiling to convince them that I am fine but I know that I won't.

Auntie held my hand and smiled at me apologetically.

"Alam kong mahirap sayo ang mga nangyari at---" I quickly cut off her. 

"Auntie, okay lang po. Sino pa po ba ang magtutulungan kung tayo-tayo lang rin." I smiled at her warmly.

I saw her wipe away her tears again and I just chuckled.

They help me with everything, my education, with my brother's medication, kay Calyx, and even with my Mom's debt. Their savings were all used because of it. Kaya naman para saan pa ang sweldo ko ngayon kung hindi para sa kanila. And they are not working anymore. Pareho na silang tumigil sa pagtuturo.