Chapter 15 - Nothing More Than Friends

(Hey guys, thanks for waiting so long for this chapter. I'm very thankful for those who've left supportive comments for me and have generally just read this far into the story. I'm sorry that this chapter is kinda short but I guess I sorta left it on a cliffhanger last chapter (?) so have this bit. I'm sorry for the delay once again, I've just been going through some stuff in my personal life and I'm still not exactly in the right state of mind, but I'm doing much better than before. Thank you for understanding!!)

(Hope you enjoy and I'm sorry in advance if they seem out of character since I haven't written in a long time)

Despite going to sleep in their separate rooms the previous night, Alhaitham gradually woke up to the sensation of another soul buried close to him in his arms. Kaveh had probably come here after Alhaitham had fallen asleep.

The blonde laid so close to him that Alhaitham could feel his soft heartbeat pounding against his own chest. He seemed so peaceful in his slumber that Alhaitham forced himself to remain as still as a statue so as to not wake up the latter, even though he was aware that they were probably late for work. 

His own eyes were fluttering back shut because his sleep was still raw, but his eyes shot open when Kaveh gasped and woke up, clinging onto Alhaitham as if he were a tree. 

"Are you alright...?" Alhaitham's concerned whisper caused Kaveh to sigh with relief. 

"Yes... I just... had one of those dreams where I started to fall." Kaveh smiled nervously after taking a few deep breaths and regaining his composure. 

As they both shook off any bit of sleep that remained heavy on their eyelids, their gaze fell upon each other and they daren't take their eyes off of each other, but it wasn't in the usual way where they'd be doing that to assert dominance upon the other during a heated argument. No. Both their eyes showed and reciprocated the burning passion they had for each other that was buried deep within the crevices of each of their hearts. 

Passion that couldn't exactly be expressed through words.

The passion that caused feelings and words to be thrown around, not considering if the other would get hurt. Feelings of passion that made them both contemplate their relationship. Thoughts that had been untold for years...And yet, here they were, laying together. Like lovers do. 

These were the thoughts currently racing through both of their minds as they stared deep into each other's pupils, which were dilating. It is common knowledge that a person's pupil dilates when they look at something or somebody that they love, and yet they pretended that they are nothing but roommates that benefit from each other.

They both knew deep down that they wanted to be more than what would be considered just: a landlord and a tenant, a junior and a senior, two old friends that parted ways but were reunited through certain circumstances, or even destiny. 

"Kaveh..." Alhaitham's voice was soft but slightly raspy since he'd just woken up. He ever so gently traced his fingers along the love bites he'd left on Kaveh's neck last night. Kaveh smiled and waited for him to continue. 

"From your perspective...what are we?" 

The blonde's smile faded as his mind processed the question, and he looked away for the first time as he thought of an answer. He pursed his lips, not knowing exactly how to phrase his thoughts into a sentence.