Chapter 9 - Never Meant to Be Side by Side

It was yet another slow, warm afternoon in Sumeru. The streets bustled with people minding their business, but the atmosphere in Puspa Cafe was quiet the opposite. Nobody craved coffee at high noon, but Cyno and Tighnari were there for a different reason. They'd decided to meet there to discuss a matter over a game of cards. It was all going well when suddenly, they heard the front doors dramatically swing open, momentarily allowing the noise and hustle to flood in from the outside before drowning back into silence as the doors shut slowly behind the man who'd just walked in. 

His eyes immediately met with Tighnari's, who let out a smile and motioned the man to come over, and so, the man indolently walked over to their table and pulled out a chair to sit down, looking more miserable than he usually did. 

"What's wrong Kaveh? Don't you have work today?" Tighnari asked him. 

"Yes...Yes I do, but I decided to take a break because my head is throbbing and the people at the Akademiya were making it worse. Didn't think I'd run into you guys here." He explained, pinching the bridge of his nose. 

"Is that really all, Kaveh?" Cyno inquired, making Kaveh look up. "After all, you left the party early last night." 

"Um...I drank a lot last night, so the headache is particularly punishing today." Kaveh spoke, putting a small smile on his face.

"It's about Alhaitham, isn't it?" Cyno leaned in closer, crossing his arms over the table. There was no fooling him, he was the General Mahamatra after all. He'd interrogated many people before, and could clearly tell when somebody was lying. 

Kaveh perked up as if he was going to deny Cyno's remark, but he sighed and nodded very slightly. 

"What happened this time?" Tighnari put down the card he had in his hand and rested his chin on the palm of his hand- the stance he'd pull every time Kaveh was about to rant. There was no doubt that he wanted to help his friend and hear him out, but Kaveh's rants about Alhaitham happened so often that Tighnari couldn't help but admit that he was growing a little tired and concerned of it. He wanted to tell Kaveh that they needed to talk about their differences and learn to live with it, instead of bringing it up in a way that would put a wall between them and force them to oppose each other all the time. 

"Oh, don't get me started. I don't even want to speak to him anymore! I'm just...so done with him! I told him I'd move out soon since the Interdarshan Championships are approaching. I'll win the prize money and move out of his house... and his life. For good." Kaveh crossed his arms over his chest as he slightly raised his voice. 

He didn't want to speak to him anymore? That was the exact opposite of what Tighnari would've suggested him to do, but Kaveh's idea didn't seem that bad either, as it would eliminate the whole problem.

"Kaveh, make a decision that will make you happy but you won't regret later on. Trust me, I'm on your side but...are you sure you'll be able to win?" Tighnari spoke in a slow and comforting tone, while also sprinkling in a bit of concern.

"I'll have to try my best because I really need that mora. And if I don't win...Well, then, I'll have to figure out a different way of making money. Maybe take on a different career." Kaveh's voice became lower, as if it mirrored his confidence moving down by a notch. 

"Well, we really hope the best happens to you. We can't stand seeing your life becoming more miserable...Which is why we're sitting." The conversation dropped dead silent as soon as Cyno cracked that joke. His intentions were well, because he wanted to lighten up the atmosphere, but it didn't exactly turn out that way. 

"Cyno...it's really not the time." Tighnari muttered under his breath, shooting a sharp glare at the man. 

Kaveh let out a small chuckle, as if he'd acknowledged Cyno's attempts at cheering him up.