Chapter 13 - Inseparable

-Alhaitham's POV-

Kaveh and I sat on the floor of his room as we unpacked all of the belongings he'd put into the boxes. Now that he wasn't going to move out, he'd have to use the things he'd packed already. I stole small glances of him to see that his face still had traces of the fact that he'd cried: His face was still red and puffy, and his eyes were glossy. The room was so silent that the chirping of the crickets outside could be heard clear as day. The barking of a stray dog somewhere in the distance also could be heard.

When I looked away from Kaveh, my gaze fell upon that blue box once again- remembering what I'd seen inside of it. I had to curb my curiosity though, as I figured that it was not the right time to ask Kaveh about what was in the box, but to my surprise, he'd caught me staring at the box, so he ran his fingers along the patterns on the lid before cracking it open. He reached in with his hand and pulled out that diary from earlier, which had the combination lock. 

"You seem to have some questions." His voice was slightly shaky, yet he managed to let out a laugh. 

"This diary...belonged to my mother." He began, as he started putting in a combination to open the padlock. 

"For many years, I wasn't able to find out the combination for this lock, but I recently figured it out after speaking to my mother's old teacher." He continued as I watched him put in the letters one by one. 

Once he was done, he held the diary out at me, showing the word he'd put in for the lock. 

Companionship. 

And with a click, it was open. 

He flipped through some of the pages and then stopped at one and smiled before pulling out a drawing on a little piece of paper. 

"Look. It's our fathers. My mother sketched them together while at a gathering." I took the paper from him and held it between two fingers. 

It was indeed a drawing of Kaveh's, Tighnari's, Cyno's and my father all sitting around a table, having drinks. The paper was old and torn at the edges, suggesting its age. 

"You really resemble your father." Kaveh scooted closer to me and rested his head on my shoulder as he pointed at my father in the drawing. He was reading a book at the table as the rest of them were enjoying drinks. 

"I suppose that's a compliment." I told him, earning a little chuckle. Then he looked at the diary again and flipped to the next few pages. 

"My mother wrote a message for me..."Whenever you're feeling down, seek out a friend to sit and chat with. You can accumulate joy and fulfillment by spending time with them. The positive feelings you gain will get you through the long and difficult years. Never forget that companionship is the most important thing of all."" Once he finished reading it out, he looked up at me with his head still resting on my shoulder. 

"Thanks for being that friend to me, Haitham. Despite you always...annoying and teasing me, whenever I'm feeling down, you're always there to hear me out. And that's the whole reason why I'm living here in the first place." He murmured and placed his hand on mine. 

I couldn't take my eyes off of his just because of how much passion was blooming within them. I wanted to repeatedly tell him that I would be there for him for as long as we are together, whenever and wherever he needs me. That familiar feeling within me arose once again, and as much as I wanted to ignore it, it was overpowering. 

I wanted to be by his side.  Whenever we're looking out for each other, our differences don't matter. 

All of a sudden, he pulled away from me and looked down at the floor.

"I realised what you said was right. I really do need to love myself before I love anybody else." He spoke softly and slowly. "Thanks for teaching me that. You've helped me realise how important self love is." He looked up at the window next to me, and I could almost see the reflection of the moon in his eyes. 

"Kaveh..." I called out to him in a low voice. There was so much I wanted to tell him yet I didn't know how to phrase it. I didn't want to take the chance of hurting him again, I'd done enough of that already. 

Nonetheless, I caught his attention, so he looked at me and tilted his head, asking for me to continue, but my breath hitched in my throat. Why was I feeling this way? I'd never felt hesitant when it comes to saying whatever is on my mind. But now, it almost felt impossible to do. I just simply stared at him, and indulged in the beauty of my senior's eyes.

 He'd been blessed with long, dark eyelashes, and his scarlet eyes perfectly captured his dramatic personality, yet simultaneously contrasted his long, golden, sun kissed locks. It was a perfect balance, making him as attractive as he is. The soft rays of the moonlight delicately fell on his face, making it glow. 

"What, are you going to stay something or just stare at me?" He crossed his arms over and laughed. 

I scooted a bit closer to him and then cupped his face with my hands, causing his eyes to widen. 

"Haitham...?" He breathed out right as I planted my lips on his and gently kissed him. 

I felt as his hands slowly fell to his sides before he placed them on my waist while continuing to kiss me. The kisses we exchanged were soft and not fast by any means, and as I moved one hand up to his hair, he moaned my name into the kiss. I stopped and pulled away, resting my forehead against his as we eyed each other. 

"What are you...doing?" He whispered. 

"Isn't it obvious?"

I held his chin between my thumb and index finger and pulled him back into the kiss, using my free hand to guide Kaveh's hands up to my neck, where he wrapped them around and pulled me closer to him. He gasped as I inserted my tongue into his mouth, feeling and tasting him, yet he didn't do anything to resist. He simply submitted and kissed me back. 

I placed one hand behind his head to cushion it as I pushed him down to the floor while not even pulling away for a second. Our lips were locked in a kiss that progressively became deeper and deeper, as we became more and more desperate to feel each other. 

By this point, his hands were massaging up and down my back while I was on top of him. I swiped my tongue across his lower lip, giving him a chance to tease my tongue with the tip of his. I gave into him this time and he pushed his tongue into my mouth and twirled it around mine, tasting and touching every bit of it. He smiled into the kiss before pulling away and our eyes once again met, not daring to look away from each other's as we both caught out breaths.

"It never occurred to me that you're such a good kisser." He chuckled, playing with my hair, but I stared at him silently, not being able to process just how much more beautiful he was up close. 

I broke out of the trance, and got off of him and stood up. 

"You're not just going to walk away like before, are you?!" His voice turned from soft to firm with anger. 

So I grabbed his hand and pulled him up, and before he could fall, I grabbed him by the waist. 

"I think we should eat dinner before we get distracted." I told him, making him burst into laughter.

"What do you mean by 'distracted'?"

"That's for you to figure out." I let go of him, and the smirk on his face seemed as if he'd taken it on as a challenge. 

"Oh, I'll make sure to figure it out."