Chapter 22

💙🍑🖤 Warning: mature sexual content.

____________________________

"Will we really see each other again? Or was this trip just a trip?"

They are sitting inside the pickup truck cab, and Vegas realizes that the boy is waiting for some kind of certainty.

"Sure," Vegas covers his hand tightly holding the steering wheel with his own, "now I just need to solve something with work, but we... we won't lose each other anymore, Pete."

"The word of cop's honour?" Pete grins, looking straight ahead.

"The word of man's honour. My word."

Vegas didn't cling to Pete's fragmentary memories of that house with all his might. He's not in a hurry anymore. Just try not to miss him at the destiny path.

Over the next two weeks, they mostly text each other about "how are things going on?". So far, Vegas decides to keep his new place of work in a secret — he is undergoing training and a trial period awaits him ahead. What if it won't work out? But somehow he's sure Pete will approve. Although, for sure, he will worry. But, maybe, won't show it. He doesn't cross paths with Kinn. He only knows that after being promoted to the rank of captain, he was appointed in his place. You deserve it, Kinn. We can talk about my case later.

Today Vegas plans to relax a little in the evening with a bottle of beer and watching some movie. He's already settling down on the couch with the phone in his hand when the doorbell rings.

Who else is it?

Opens the door. Little wolf cub...

"Hi. Uh... did anything happen?"

Pete stands frowning, with a shopping bag in his left hand:

"No. I came to you. I missed you. Will you let me in?"

Vegas lets him in. In the hallway, Pete quickly takes off his sneakers and, without much invitation, stomps into the kitchen. Soon there appears on the table: several bottles of beer, snacks and wok boxes with rice noodles. Seeing Vegas' confusion, he explains:

"Why... Like kids... we communicate by text-messages. You don't have anything to do tonight anyway, am I right?"

Vegas leans one hand on the jamb in the kitchen doorway:

"Well... since you've come, let's watch a movie. I was just about to."

Pete clutches the bag in his fist, Vegas even thinks that there is still something left in it. Then he shifts his eyebrows to the bridge of his nose and says:

"Vegas. You tell me how it is. Who are we to each other? Are we together?.."

He wants to hug Splinter. He hasn't done this for a long time. For two whole weeks. But Pete does not let up and retreats to the window:

"Is that how you're avoiding the answer? I just don't understand... You said you like me, but that's it, right? Because I'm a street pickpocket? And there's no reason for such a noble cop to mess up with me?"

"I'm not such a noble cop. And now I'm not a cop at all anymore. And we kind of agreed with you that you were done with pickpocketing."

"I haven't stolen anything in these two weeks. You can ask Tankhun if you don't believe me."

"I believe," Vegas himself takes a step towards and pats him on the head, "I believe you, little wolf cub. Shall we go to the room?"

"You didn't answer."

"About?"

"Who we are to each other."

"Pete. For me, this all is," laughs unnaturally, "some new stuff, or something... don't get offended."