Chapter 13

As long as he remembers his adult life, Vegas has never known the answer to a simple question: is he happy? The concept of a happy life is too relative and vague for him. Over the years of studying at the Academy and working in the police, he learned to control his emotions, at least in most situations. He can restrain anger, disguise fatigue, boredom and disappointment, hiding all this behind a crooked half-smile line. But if he suddenly feels an inexplicable surge of vital energy, if suddenly the pulse beats out from under his wrists, overtaking his breathing ... will he be able to curb himself, still remaining outwardly cold and sober-minded?

"Poor night sleep?"

Eh... I have to get out of my thoughts.

"Uh... what makes you think so, Kinn?"

They are already in position. Of course, today the trick with security will not be able to pull off, the bodyguards of their client could easily remember the faces from the auction. Therefore, they stay in several cars at different distances from the hotel, in the restaurant where Pete was assigned a "date".

"Your head's in the clouds, Captain. That is" here Kinn grins, slightly lifting up his chin, "completely out of your character."

"On the contrary," Vegas tries to relax the overly tense facial muscles, "I'm very focused. It's all right, Kinn. We must continue observation."

In response, they hum and fall silent. And Vegas has a temporary respite and an opportunity to put thoughts and emotions in order.

The latter is harder. And yes, Kinn is right, it's not typical for him.

You said "captain" to me too, little wolf cub… But why did your "captain" sound so different?

Vegas knows what he has to think about the case. But he's sitting inside the car and thinking about Pete. And about what — after all — should not have happened.

"The view is very beautiful here."

"That's right. And if you agree to stay a little longer than decent," Vegas hears the rustle of the fabric of Pete's suit, it means the old scambag is using his hands, "you can enjoy an even more beautiful sunset."

Vegas almost grits his teeth.The man who likes to talk about music, is already making unambiguous hints, obviously offering Splinter to stay in one of the luxurious hotel rooms overnight.

"Mmm, you intrigued me," Pete flirts, "but today I promised to be home at nine sharp."

Actually, at eight. Are you trying to annoy me again, Pete?

Vegas warned him that this date shouldn't be his last. So the client will have to be "pickled". Can you handle it? Having received in response a typically Pete's "easy peezy", Vegas really hoped that in reality Splinter would be able to do that.

So far, it's worth admitting, Pete is coping with his target. But how long will it last? After all, this old bastard is far from being naive. And if only he suspects a setup, as their "mole" will have to be urgently taken out of the game. But Vegas would like to see results. After all, he is not used to either losing or giving up.

Meanwhile, judging by the dialogue and the sound of the wind, they moved to the open veranda.

"Perhaps I can persuade you to join me and watch the sunset after all?"

"I'd love to," Pete continues to flirt sweetly, "but I promised my 'daddy' to show up at home on time. So — not tonight."

"In that case, you definitely leave me no choice but to hope for our new meeting…"

Vegas lets out a hollow chuckle. Daddy. Well yes. Oh, Splinter, you don't give up trying to get into trouble.

However, Vegas is visited by the idea that this could be just an excuse. And since it served as a bridge to the next meeting, let it work. You can spell his teeth any way you want. If only you could achieve the goal as soon as possible.