A New Discovery

I stayed up all night in the guest room Cami gave me, scrolling through the reports and crime scenes

I stayed up all night in the guest room Cami gave me, scrolling through the reports and crime scenes. I tried not to be too loud, knowing she was asleep in the room next door, as I went out one time to make coffee. It was the only thing keeping me awake at three in the morning.

"You really shouldn't have come here, Liv."

Cami's words perpetually replayed in my mind. Did she know more than she was willing to say? What was up with her fear? And why would she try to protect me from a job that I have been doing for years?

Unless...

No, it can't be it. Before I left, the balance between the supernatural in this city was in order. Humans had no idea about the witches, the vampires or the werewolves hiding behind the masks of morality.

There was no way she knew about them.

Or maybe she did learn about them. Maybe she found out the same way as me. No matter, that was the investigation for another day. I left the apartment before sunrise, and the first thing I did was go to the police department. 

____________________

"Olivia O'Connell," a middle aged man said out loud. I noticed his tag attached to his uniform, Detective Kinny. He was scrolling through the files. "And you said you were put on the investigation by who exactly?"

"Officer Bailey and others from the New Orleans' P.D," I repeated, giving him the file of my works as well as records others gave me prior to my leave. "It's all in the files. Charlotte police send you things as well."

"Why would you come all the way from Charlotte for this case?" He asked suspiciously but still took out the stamp and started filling out the confirmation letter.

"I got transferred," I responded, simply knowing not to reveal too much information. "It happens when more help is needed. I thought you would know but then again you are new here."

Truth was I didn't know if he was new. I guessed based on his movements. He kept looking around, still trying to figure out where everything was located. Once his cheeks flushed in embarrassment, and when he quickly handed me the paper, I knew I was right.

"Come with me, Ms. O'Connell," he shut off his computer and stood up. He fixed his crumbled up shirt and started walking to the exit. "A new body was found close to Bourbon street 15 minutes ago."

We drove towards the center of the city while Detective Kinny continued to interrogate me, "So you work in the forensics field, right?"

I nodded, keeping my eyes on the road. "I investigate all the homicides and analyze the works. Connect the dots."

"New Orleans is in need of a good one. Guess you'll prove yourself today," he remarked, as we neared the police cruisers parked down the street. Their lights were continuously flashing.

Never Enough Time - The OriginalsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara