The Return

"New Orleans' new serial killer or is it something much darker?"

I turned the volume of the radio higher, my gaze focused on the long, barren road in the front. It was past midnight, and the autumn breeze felt suffocating. Gusts of wind tangled my already wavy, dirty blonde hair and I finally rolled up the window stopping the air entering the car.

I continued listening to the reporter. After all, every bit of information was necessary. I needed to know who I was facing.

"Citizens of New Orleans are panicking," the reporter declared. I could tell she was shaken up by the incidents. "The investigators are doing everything they can about the serial killer that mutilated two bodies in less than 48 hours but there is no good lead so far."

Officer Bailey didn't show me any pictures of the crime scene nor did he give me anything before my leave. He said it was too early to have any data all the way in North Carolina. From what I could gather the murders were violent, bloody and definitely done systematically. If anything, it was clear the murderer wanted to send a message.

I drove, quietly, as I neared the city I left behind years ago. After what happened with my younger brother I fully disconnected from everyone there. Especially uncle Kieran, and Cami.

They reached out more times than I could count. Left messages and voicemails. I never dialed those calls back even though they begged me to return home. I ignored each plea until the calls just stopped coming one day. It was simply too hard to live in a city where people whispered and judged about the O'Connell's crazy and psychopathic family.

I'll always remember their every accusation: If the brother killed 9 seminary students like that, they all sure have to be like him too. Thank god he killed himself afterwards. Olivia should be taken off the police department unit, we don't need a murderer sympathizer here.

I was angry at my brother, Sean, for ruining our family's image. I was angry at Cami for defending him, for still loving him, for still seeing him as a brother. I was angry at the world.

But time passed and I wanted to fix things with Cami. She didn't deserve to lose both her siblings. And, truth be told, I missed her and I missed uncle Kieran. I wanted to call them both and talk to them for quite some time now, but I couldn't find the right words to even start the conversation.

"Hi, this is me calling you after almost 3 years of ignoring you and seeing what's up?"

Or

"I'm coming back to New Orleans to find the killer, we should meet and catch up."

I audibly sighed. I didn't even tell them I was coming back. They deserved to know. I pulled out my phone and hit the voice message. I first decided to call Cami.

I cleared my throat, rethinking what I should say. I began, "Cami...I don't know if you have my number still. I mean you probably do but..." I started rambling and I hated how bad of a big sister I was. I was supposed to be a role model and yet I couldn't express how I was feeling half of the time. "Anyways...I got transferred to the investigation in New Orleans and I'm about to be home. So if you get this message, call me."