8) Munnies

"Y/N, where were you?"Minho asked.

"Don't worry about it. I found a new shirt though,"I shrugged.

"You can't just run off like that,"He scolded. I rolled my eyes at this. His worry was just plain irritating.

"Is anyone else up?"I asked, ignoring his last sentence.

"Just Newt. We were about to wake everyone else,"He explained.

"I'm up too,"David chipped in. I gave him a nod of acknowledgement.

"That was so dangerous. You could have died,"Newt overreacted.

"Can you shanks calmed down? Besides, I went with Aris. It's not like I was alone,"I pointed out. They finally acknowledged his presence but to give him a stare. I couldn't see it because their backs were to me, but I'm seriously hoping it's not anything rude. When I saw the nervousness in his face though I knew that was too good to be true.

"I'm changing my rule. If you guys are rude to anyone here I'll knee that person in the gut,"I spoke up.

"Nobody said anything."

"You don't have to talk to be rude Minho. Shouldn't we be leaving soon?"I pointed out.

"Yeah. Are you okay though? You were in pretty bad shape last night,"David asked.

"I'm fine. Tommy Boy. Wakey wakey,"I said, nudging his side with my foot. This was a bad idea because he nearly jumped out of his skin. I apologized and moved on to Teresa.

"Teresa. It's time to get moving,"I said, poking her side. She woke up with less fear on her eyes.

"Come on. We can eat as we walk,"I directed.

"What if we don't want to eat our food yet?"Jeremy asked. I was only joking earlier about him not being very bright, but I'm starting to question his ability to think.

"Then, save it for later. Now let's hurry up. It's already scorching."

ᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗ

It was in fact ruthlessly hot. The sun showed no mercy as it beat down on us. At least, I had David's bad jokes. Somehow he was the most energetic one here.

"Are you a thief?"He asked, with a grin that hadn't left his face. I'm surprised he's not in pain.

"Because I stole your heart?"I guessed.

"No. Because you took my breath away."

"Did you actually talk to all your friends like this?"I asked.

"Yep. My charm was the quickest way to gain them."

"Are you sure it's not desperation?"I asked, smiling to show I was only teasing.

"No. It was definitely desperation,"Jeremy tuned in. I quickly figured out why they're such good friends. David finds a million ways to call him a dumbass, and Jeremy find a million ways to call him lonely. Those kinds of friendships are probably in the top three.

ᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗ

As it got later in the day everyone lost the energy to do anything. Even talking drained us so we trudged along in silence. After what felt like hours we stumbled upon what I'm guessing was a city. We all stood on a hill and looked out at it. It may have been nice at one point. Now it's just ruined buildings, abandoned cars, and more sand.

"What a great place,"I mumbled.

"Sure. If you're out of your bugging mind."

"That's why I was sarcastic Newt. Let's keep going. I can't wait to see what other awesome things are out here,"I sighed.

So we did. As we officially entered this place if was hard not to do a double take. It was one thing to look at it, but actually being in the middle of the destruction was a entirely different story. Concrete slabs were spray painted with random symbols and words.

"We're all doomed. The world is over. WCKD is bad. Down with Ava. Up with the revolution. All promising signs,"I muttered to myself.

"What are?"Rachel asked. I pointed at the random words, and we stood there for a second reading them. They only got worse.

"Ban the munnies. Do you know what a munnie is?"I asked. She shook her head no.

"We should probably keep going. It's probably nothing too important,"Minho said. Something told me otherwise, but there's nothing I can do about it. Besides, we still need to find Right Arm or as Newt calls them mountain people.

"Stop. Do you all hear that?"Thomas asked. Nobody dared to move as we listened for whatever Thomas was talking about. There was some humming noise in the air.

"It's them. Everyone hide,"He directed. Since I was already right by a hiding spot with Rachel we stayed there while the group was on the other side. Less than a second later their helicopter soared above us. Now that I got a good look I realized they were the exact same ones that rescued us that day we left the Glade.

It was probably only a few seconds, but it felt like centuries when they left. I released a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"How many of those do you think they have?"I asked Rachel.

"I don't know, but probably enough to last year's."

"I hope our path has plenty of hiding spaces because something tells me we're going to need them."

"Hey. What's that up there?"She asked, pointing above us. I looked up to see something dangling just above us.

"I don't know, but I'm going to see,"I responded, jumping just enough to pull a slip of paper out of the concrete.

"What'd you find?"Thomas asked.

"I dunno,"I shrugged, unfolding it.

Munnies beware! We will find you!

"Another fantastic thing to see. Still, it has to mean something. Does anyone know what a munnie is?"I asked. They all shook their heads no. "Lovely. Let's just go before another unlucky thing happens to us. We attract that more than Gally did anger."

"Who?"

"Don't worry about it Aris. Just know that he was the entire reason we had a fight ring. Now, vomanos. I don't want to be anywhere near this place at night."