Chapter 22 • the game part 3

My body lands in a building, and the floor collapses, making me fall down through the floors a couple of stages below. I can feel the anger in me, the pain, and regret. Tears are flowing down my face, but I can't feel them. I can't stand the emotion, I feel that I need to take it out on someone. I need it to be gone!

I spot Amory a couple of buildings away. All I can think off is attacking him.

No, I can't do that! He isn't responsible for what happened in my previous life!

But every nerf in my body screams out of it, and before I even know it, I'm already in the air flying in top speed to the person that I choose as target. I crash into the yet another apartment together with the hero.

"What the hell!?"Amory groans, and he slowly stands up. On the top of his head is a small stream of blood. I'm not aware of what's happening. It goes all so fast, and I'm not even sure what I'm doing. All I notice is that we're yet into another part of the city, with Amory crashed into the ground, leaving long trail of his fall behind him.

I need to stop. This is ridiculous! I seem to finally have calmed down a little, but a hand grabs my neck and throws me against a large statue. It's Amory, fighting back.

"I said it wouldn't work, [name]! We're stuck here, "he says as he pins me by my throat against the statue. I barely get any air in me, adrenaline pumping through my veins. I can feel an energy in me, nor emotions or feelings. Just energy. I grab his hand that holds my throat, and with one quick move, I push him away. I'm surprised he flies backward and crashes into a window of a building at least a few blocks away!

That's when I realise I'm also floating in the air.

The only explanation I can give for it is that I have superpowers from being a supervillain in my previous life. But that wouldn't be possible! I have a totally different life, being born in another universe. Physically, it isn't possible!

Amory stands up again. I look around, hoping for a sign of someone, but I realize we're completely alone. Is everyone already gone? How long was I in the portal?

"What the hell is going on?" I whisper. I pull myself gently away from the statue to see myself flying at least 100 feet above the ground. "Oh god, help me," I mumble.

I fly to Amory on the ground. When I land, I have trouble standing up for a couple of seconds. But gravity works with me. I walk slowly to Amory, who is hurt in the hole in the street. The road is broken. Suddenly, I feel bad for him. "Amory?"I ask. The dust flies everywhere, I can't see him very well. All I can hear is groans of pain.

I can see the figure standing up, holding his arm. "Amory, I'm so sorry! I don't know what came over me. Are you okay?" I ask, worried. I expect him to be angry and won't answer, but instead, I hear him say: "I-I'm fine."

He walks up to me. His normal annoyed and uninterested expression is gone. He shows his feelings. Pity... but sadness mostly. He even forces a sad smile at me. But then his legs collapses and I catch him just in time before his body hits the ground. I take his arm around my shoulders and support him to an uncollapsed structure.

"I'm so sorry, Amory. I never meant to fight you", I say. I feel guilty for this to him. He never hurted me, he even warned me. "I know", he says. "I know..."
"But..." I stop for a moment. "...how did you know it wasn't going to work?" I ask. Amory glances at me, hurt in his eyes. "I tried the same, [name]. P-perhaps we're not that different as you think", he says. I look at his wounds.

He is bleeding all over! I should help him.

I see a first aid kit in a hospital over the structure where we are. "Wait here", I say. I go grab the first aid kit and tend to Amory's wounds. "But what do you mean by that?" I ask when I carefully take the glass out of his wounds. "[Name], don't you see?", Amory says. "I'm from your universe, just like you."

I can't help but be shocked at his words. I stop moving and for  moment I'm not sure what to do. "I have so many questions...", I can finally speak out. "You don't have to", he says.

"W-when I was in your universe I saw this symbol everywhere I go."

Like me...

"I had to find out what it was. Eventually I found it near the woods... my curiosity took over me. Before I knew what had happening I was here", he explains. I take a bandage and cover the wounds after I cleaned it. Next I take some water, I rip a piece of my t-shirt and make it wet.

"Zyrian took me in... like the Tanaki family did with you. When the portal reappeard, they helped me to get there, but it spit me right out. Back into this world and that day, I realized... that there is no going back", he explains. Our eyes meet. "I..." I don't know what to say. We just look silently at eachother till I break eye contact and sit next to him.

"But... there has to be a way to go back! There has to be..."

Amory puts a hand on my shoulder. "Don't you think I tried everything, [name]? We lost everything. Or families, our home... our life. I gave up a long time ago."

"We're doomed..."

______________________________

Hello there!

Sorry for the longer wait! I have a busy vacation, and my birthday is coming up. But I will post back again soon!

Have a nice day/night 👋