chapter 48 • she had a reputation to protect, and a job to uphold

Start from the beginning

"eva, do you have any idea what i went through to swipe that for you?" vic questioned. "and you just threw it in a box?"

"to be fair, i was trying to hide it where no one would look. along with these hideous photos of our children. i'll put it somewhere safe."

"oh no, i'll hold onto that! clearly you can't be trusted."

"clearly you are gonna be sleeping on the couch tonight."

jake whispered bummer to himself, causing aria to laugh and immediately shut her mouth and give him a blank stare.

thankfully, the awkward moment was healed in an instant.

celia welcomed herself in as she always did.

"celia! do you really need to burst in like that?" vic hid the diamond. "i could've been naked!"

"are you trying to make me throw up?" celia frowned.

"no, i'm trying to make you run outside and throw up."

"i just came to warn you before i steal your wi-fi. hartley said it was the polite thing to do. the new season of my favorite crime podcast, cold trail, drops later today, and i can barely contain myself!" celia grinned.

jake and aria looked at each-other.

the pair had spent the longest time binging that podcast together on repeat, especially when they baked.

listening to gorey details about murder cases seemed to help them decorate their pastries.

"you're a traily? me too!" jake grinned.

"i listen to that podcast! but if never call myself a traily." aria eyed jake.

"then i won't do it ever again." jake raised his hands in surrender.

vic had no idea what was going on.

"they're hosting a contest this season where listeners can try to solve the cold case from home. whoever figured it out first gets at fifty thousand dollar reward." jake explained. "we should team up."

"fine, as long as i get all the money." celia turned to walk out the door.

"why would i agree to that?"

"ninety-ten."

"now we're talking."

celia walked out of the house.

"did you say the winner of this thing gets fifty thousand dollars?" vic questioned. "jake, who better to help you solve a crime than one of the shadiest people you know?"

"yeah, that's why i picked celia." jake shrugged.

"i'm talking about me! we'd have the clear advantage. i think like a criminal mastermind, which means we'd be able to solve the cold case before anyone and get that reward."

"would you give me more than 10 percent?"

"well if you're gonna be greedy about it, i'll just do it on my own!"

vic grabbed his box of stuff, and stormed off,

aria sat on the couch, not too interested in the conversation.

"do you wanna join celia and i?" jake offered, as aria stood up to leave.

"i guess." aria sat back down.

jake called celia back to the house.

the trio listened to the podcast as soon as it dropped, but celia's heavy commentary which only consisted on questions of 'what'd they say?' ruined most of it.