34. Forgiveness.

In the dimly lit room, I observed Dante tenderly placing Ava and Aiden down to sleep, his strong yet gentle hands cradling their small form with utmost care.

As I gazed at him, it was impossible to deny the sheer handsomeness that radiated from his every move, especially when he interacted with our twins. A pang of regret washed over me, knowing that I had not fought harder for our relationship, choosing instead to give in to whatever Catherine said and flee.

With a hint of reluctance, Dante momentarily hesitated to leave not wanting to ever leave the twins' side. His eyes lingered on them, a mix of adoration and wistfulness etched on his face.

As he leaned down to plant soft kisses on their little foreheads, my heart swelled with emotions, recognizing the sweetness of the moment yet burdened by the realization that I had deprived him of these precious moments with his babies. I had inadvertently robbed our twins of the chance to spend quality time with their loving father.

A mere day after Dante's triumphant reunion with our babies, it was evident that the bond between father and twins had grown exponentially.

They seemed to be inseparable, with the twins sticking to him like glue. Witnessing Dante caring for them so devotedly, bathing them, feeding them, and tending to their every need, stirred both joy and pain within me.

It was bittersweet to witness him connecting with the twins, understanding their unique preferences and quirks, while knowing that I had once stood in the way of this beautiful relationship.

As I stood there, a mix of emotions swirled inside me, longing for a chance to turn back time and mend the wounds I had unintentionally inflicted on our family.

Seeing Dante's selfless love for our twins only deepened my regret for not fighting harder to keep us together. The sleepless nights and countless tears seemed insignificant now, compared to the love and joy that filled the room whenever Dante interacted with our precious twins.

I knew deep down that I had to find a way to mend the broken pieces and rebuild the family we once were, allowing our twins to experience the unconditional love of both their parents.

As I stood there, a sense of awkwardness engulfed me, feeling like an intruder upon witnessing the heartfelt bond between Dante and his babies.

Their reluctance to sleep in their own room and the way they sought comfort in their father's presence continued to tug at my heartstrings.

Following Dante into his room, I sensed the weight of the moment, knowing that he wanted a private space to have a much-needed conversation. With sincerity in my voice, I mustered the courage to apologize, breaking the silence that hung heavy in the air.

"I'm sorry," the words escaped my lips, carrying the weight of my remorse.

There was no denying that I owed him an immense apology. I had allowed fear and uncertainty to lead me astray, running away and believing in a lie without even giving him a chance to explain or confirm the truth.

My hasty actions had not only hurt him but had taken away precious time with his own children, and I was acutely aware that I had a lot to make up for.

Dante's eyes bore into mine, intense and unwavering, making me feel both vulnerable and hopeful at the same time. Though the gravity of the situation stifled any potential blush, I could sense the earnestness of his gaze, and it made me yearn for his forgiveness.

"While I understand the reasons behind your decision to run away, which were to protect me and because you feared for my downfall and the twin's safety, I want you to know that I hold no grudges and have forgiven you. However, the pain of losing you for all those years and missing out on a significant part of our kids' childhood will undoubtedly require time to heal," he expressed sincerely. Hearing him say he had forgiven me brought immense relief, but it was equally painful to know that my actions had caused him suffering.