𝟾). 𝙹𝚘𝚛𝚍𝚊𝚗 𝙿𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚕𝚒𝚙𝚜

It was a few days after the whole sleepover fiasco. I'm still pissed at Charlie but I got over it. Maya has been coming to the sandlot with us everyday since she's off of work. Turns out she's off for the rest of July, so win win. She's really good at the game, like really good. And she told me she never played before. She hit a home run the first time she picked up the bat on her first day. I knew she could prove the boys wrong, but that day Ham was in shock.

Nothing changed to much, some boys wouldn't play somedays cause of things they couldn't get out of or the hot summer heat. Which worked out we had a lot of extra players. Maya and I also grew closer cause of this, when neither of us were playing for the time being, we'd just talk about our interests and tell fun stories. Benny has been getting closer too, like trying to make small talk, but also just getting to know each other better. We talked about books, apparently his dad taught him to play the guitar. It's kinda nice other than when he's at bat and misses the ball cause he's staring, it's sweet but kinda creepy.

One day mid July I was expecting it to be a normal day, baseball at 8, play til lunch, come back after lunch, play til dusk.

(That's what you're wearing but feel free to change it)

One day on a cloudy afternoon, we were just playing baseball like normal. Maya and I were off to the side when Squints said oh no. Benny grabbed his bat and we all walked over.
"Get behind me." He told me, I went a bit behind him but I was still semivisible. Maya went behind Charlie, but she kept looking at Scotty. There was a group of boys in varsity jackets and baseball uniforms.

"Ah it's easier when you play with a bunch of rejects and a fat kid, Rodriguez." A boy with blonde hair said stopping his bike.
"Shut your mouth Phillips." Benny defended.

"I'd like you to repeat that one more time Phillips." Maya said grabbing a spare bat from the ground.
"You heard me Porter. You shouldn't even be allowed to touch a baseball. Except for Rodriguez, you're all and insult to the game. You even got a girl on your team." Phillips fired back.

"Come on we'll take you right here, right now. Come on." Ham offered and we all agreed.
"We play on a real diamond porter. You ain't good enough to lick the dirt off our cleats." Phillips said and his team backed him up.
Ham and Phillips started going at each other with dumb and very disgusting insults.

"You bob for apples in the toilet, and you like it." Phillips claimed as his team laughed.
"You play ball like A GIRL!" I had enough of this bullshit. I got out from behind Benny and slapped Ham in the back of the head, Maya got a hit in as well. I grabbed Bennys bat and held it menacingly.
"Watch what you speak. Especially when both your sister and her crazy friend have weaponry." I said getting close to Hams face.
I looked at Phillips and he had a smirk on his face. I had the bat over my shoulder.

"Wow, two girls, rejects, and a fat kid, Rodriguez? Your team really is pathetic." Phillips laughed. He got off his bike and stepped up to me.
"Hi. I'm Jordan, you know we should get to know each other sometime." He said in a flirty way. I pushed him away and made him fall back.

"So you think we're pathetic? Look at you, why would I go out with you. You're disgusting. Tomorrow at noon, we beat you guys. Then we'll see who's pathetic." I said spinning my bat.
"Our field, tomorrow, at noon." Phillips said, trying to get reassured.
"What do I have to dumb it down for you even more? We go play baseball at lunch time." I said in a baby voice to make it more condescending. He scoffed and his team road off. We went back to playing slowly after, it was normal until Benny came over, as Maya was leaving. He stood next to me in the outfield.

"Hey Y/n, that was pretty bitchin and badass back there." He told me as I got ready to catch. I learned that while at the sandlot, eyes on baseball no matter what, and it's kinda nice cause that gives me a distraction from over thinking and thinking about Benny. The ball came to my glove.

"Thanks Benny, I just hope we beat them. I haven't met any of them but they seem like complete and total assholes." I claimed and threw the ball to Squints.
"You got damn good judgement. You did the right thing, he's the king of assholery."
"I could tell, anyone who thought we couldn't play, is messed up." I said getting ready to play. We played later today, we wanted to make sure we were ready.

The next day came fast and quick. Last night we figured out who was gonna play, mostly who we were gonna have sit off to the side. As soon as we all started talking the boys said Me, Charlie, Maya, and obviously Benny. So boom four people there. We drew straws to who wouldn't play. It was both Timmons brothers, and Bertram. I felt bad but it was purely out of luck, no skill required. I woke up ready more than I ever was before.

(This with black converse and a dodgers hat but feel free to change it if you hate it)

I got my bat and glove ready as we all walked there heads held high. We were actually on time, it was Phillips team who was late. When they did show up we flipped a coin to see who'd bat first, my face dropped when it was Phillips's team. Even though Timmy, Tommy, and Bertram couldn't play, they still came for moral support. Everyone got set up and ready. The agreement was first to 9 wins. I looked over and saw why Phillips's team was doing so bad, Ham was getting in there heads and making them miss. I laughed when I realized this. DeNunez was sending the heater every once and a while too.

After everyone bat, we switched. Everyone on the team hit the ball and sent it flying. Charlie and Maya did this quite awesome thing where when there were two people on, they'd hit a home run and get points. Benny and I were the last ones to go, he went first. He hit a home run like usual, he didn't even have to worry about getting tagged he hit it so far. It was down to me if we could go home or if we'd have to play more. I missed the first 2 pitch's, I took a deep breath, spun my bat, and got ready for the final pitch. A kid on the other team pitched it, and I hit it far. I made it to the first three bases but got stuck in a pickle between third and home. They threw the ball back and forth almost tagging me each time.

I took a deep breath and did a move where I ducked down and spun out. I did a roll forward and made it to the base before the ball could touch me. Everyone on my team came out and cheered. Maya and I hugged first, obviously. Then Charlie and Scotty. Everyone else gave high fives. Benny was the last one. He gave me the biggest hug I've ever received.
"You did it Y/n, you've made history." He told me.
"I'm all about breaking the mold of what society thinks a girl should be." I laughed. We let go after sometime when the boys got really excited.
"You know what tonight is guys?" Benny asked.
Like usual, Me, Charlie, and Scotty, got very confused.

"The CARNIVAL!" They all yelled as we walked home. The three of us looked very confused. I looked ahead and saw Maya and Benny talking, they glanced back at us a few times. I shook it off but it still felt weird inside. Either way I have the carnival to worry about. Mostly just making sure the boys don't be stupid.