𝟸) 𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙱𝙾𝚈𝚂

Scotty was telling me all about how he went to the Sandlot and the boys laughed at him cause he couldn't throw a baseball, and at Charlie cause he can't catch. I looked at Charlie and we nodded. Scotty left shortly after and me and Charlie headed off the the sandlot. Before we left I changed out of my Pajamas to my normal clothes.

I roller the sleeves up on my flannel, put my walkman on my jeans, and threw on my LA Dodgers cap on

I roller the sleeves up on my flannel, put my walkman on my jeans, and threw on my LA Dodgers cap on. I grabbed my brother by the wrist, and I grabbed my skateboard. We walked off to the sandlot and I was pissed off.

When we got here all the boys looked at us, specifically at me since I was a girl. Charlie was trying to runaway but my grip didn't let down. I finally let go when I started talking. I fixed my cap.
"Hey! Which of you boys made fun of my friend and my brother." They all looked different ways besides the tall tan boy from the other week. I got a feeling that he didn't laugh since he seemed like he felt bad and he looked at me like a I meant business and I did.
"Oh so all of you. Got it, grow up. Not every boy knows how to throw a ball, you all had to learn and other kids haven't. Just before you laugh at someone just think morons. Come on Charlie." I grabbed him again and we walked home.

Later I was outside reading on the porch and rolling a baseball around, when the tan kid from the sandlot walked over to me.
"Hey, I'm Benny, Benny Rodriguez."
"Y/n Peters."
"I'm sorry about your friend. The boys were very confused that a girl came. They don't know how to act around girls." I snickered and smiled. He looked down at my side and saw the baseball.
"You play?" He asked hopeful.

"Yeah I love it. When I was 7 my parents took me and my brother to a Dodgers game and I caught a Home-run by Jackie Robinson which I got signed later." His face was very surprised.
"I think it's cool, a girl playing baseball."
I nodded when he started talking again.

"You should come, tomorrow that is. You and your brother and your friend. Prove the boys wrong, I'll come get you guys tomorrow."

"You'd really do that?"
I asked bewildered.
He nodded and smiled. He waved goodbye and walked into his house. I went back to reading when Charlie came out.

"What'd he want?"
"He's inviting us to the sandlot tomorrow to show that you can catch, Scotty can throw, and I can just play anyway." Charlie looked at me confused and shook his head and agreed to go. We did our little twin handshake, and as Charlie went in I followed.

The next morning I got up at about 7:30 and got ready.

I grabbed my Dodgers hat and out it on how I like it. I didn't get my Walkman today since I was gonna get dirty and I didn't want it to get ruined. I grabbed my mitt, bat, and went downstairs to have something to eat. I got out some cereal when Charlie came down with his mitt.

"I can't believe we're going this."
"You don't have to come."
"No I wanna." I nod and take a bite of my sugary cereal. I hear a knock and open the door. It's Benny.
"Hey you guys ready to go?"
I nod and Charlie comes out.
"MOM WE'RE GOING OUT."
We walk out and I see Scotty sitting outside. Benny walked over and a minute later came back with Scotty, he had a black eye.
"What did you do?"
"I got hit in the face with a baseball."
"Ok then."
The four of us walk over to the general store and see a group of seven other boys. I recognize the ginger as Maya's brother. He's doing an impression of the great bambino. But Scotty says one of the dumbest thing that I've ever heard.

"Who's that?" All of our faces are surprised and the boys start saying the names of Babe Ruth himself. Scotty says the second craziest things I've heard.
"Ohhh I thought you said the great Bambi."
"That wimpy deer?" Mayas brother asks confused.
"Yeah, I guess. Sorry." There was an awkward silence between all of us before Benny spoke up.
"Anyways. Scott, Charlie, Y/n, this is..." I stopped listening but after Benny said one of their names they spat. I picked something about something each one of the boys.

Squints had huge black glasses, Tommy just repeated everything Timmy did, so that's how I could tell them apart. Yeah-Yeah just said
Yeah-Yeah before every sentence. DeNunez was a kid of color. Weeks had a tall, lanky body. And Ham was ginger.
I finally payed attention again when Benny said my name.
"Guys this is Y/n Peters and her brother Charlie Peters. And this is Scott Smalls."
Scotty said hi, Charlie waved, and I did my classic military salute.

"Yeah anyway, they're gonna be playing with us. One of them makes 9 and we have two extra players incase two of you don't show up." Benny said happily but the boys got pissed again.

"Sorry if I heard you wrong but did you say that she's gonna be playing with us?" Squints asked.

"She's a girl." Timmy said so Tommy repeated, now I get why they call him repeat.

"But Benny she's a girl and girls can't play baseball." Ham said and I laughed.

"Says who? I will prove you wrong with a smile on my face. So you don't wanna mess with me unless you know what you're getting into." I said, fixing my hat and holding my bat to the ground.

"Ok... we're wasting time let's go." Benny says and everyone starts walking to the sandlot but me, Charlie, and Scotty stayed behind a bit.

I heard them asking Benny why he brought us and for some reason I felt conscious. I didn't feel like that in Minnesota so why am I feeling it now?
I pushed those feelings away when they said Scotty can't throw, Charlie can't catch, and that I was well female. Benny stuck up for us though and I didn't know why.

"-You're apart of the team and so are they. Now base up you block heads. Smalls you take left center and Charlie you can just hang out wherever. Y/n you're up at bat." I shrugged and got ready to hit. DeNunez pitched the ball to me and I hit it to the farthest corner of the field.

"So am I in now?" I asked having my bat on my shoulder. They all nod and I smile.
"Thank you for your service boys."
I go over to Left field with Charlie as Benny hits the ball over to Scotty.
"Smalls throw it to second."

Scotty falls as backwards as he's trying to catch it.
I hear the boy's talking about Scotty but Benny shut it down real fast. Scotty rather than throw it just handed it to DeNunez. Benny ran over to teach him how to throw and it's like a paper route. He went over to Charlie and told him to just stick up his glove. Benny ran to home-base and winked at me. I made a weirded and confused face and got ready.

Crack! Benny hit the ball to Charlie and he threw it to Scotty and Scotty threw it to Bertram. Everyone's faces dropped at what Charlie and Scotty had done, I was very proud of my boys.

We played for the rest of the day and it was about 5 PM when we wrapped up for that day.
"I'll show you more tomorrow ok?" Ham said talking to Charlie and Scotty. I was walking silent next to Benny when he noticed I wasn't talking for the past 5 minutes.

"Hey Y/n you ok?"
"Uh yeah, yeah I'm fine. Just thinkin."
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah. I'm just, thinking about Minnesota. It was my friend Kara's birthday today. I kinda miss her but I moved away when we weren't on great terms. But it's ok, I had a lot of fun today. Thanks for inviting us today."
"Of course, I had fun too."

I smiled and gave him a hug for some reason. But he hugged me back but it didn't last very long. I waved and I walked in. I was met with all three members of my family.