Chapter .6

One thing I know, that I know nothing.

°•¤○●°•¤○●°•¤○●°•¤○●°•¤○●°•¤○●°•¤○●°

Naomi pov, same day

Warning, long chapter

When I walk into the class it doesn’t seem like the students are having a lecture or anything which is surprising because this is social studies class. The classroom is split in half, the Teacher's desk at the back of the room. The desks are also put in circles and it looks like the two sides of the room are working on some type of project and I hold in my groan, coming in the middle of a project will put me at a disadvantage. The class is maybe twenty something students. 

The kids only spare me a glance before continuing what they were doing. The teacher raises her hand at the back of the room catching my attention as she waves me over. I sigh and begin the seemingly endless trek to the other side of the room. I come to stand right in front of her desk as she smiles up at me from her chair. 

The Teacher, Mrs. Noel, from what Pearl told me, is an older woman, maybe in her early fifties with round glasses that could belong to Harry Potter if it wasn’t for the chain of beads hanging from the sides. Her face and neck, which is all I can see from her very conservative outfit, is clad with many small black dots, moles and scars. Her skin is a darker shade of brown and her face not having many wrinkles and very luscious lips. Her nose, lip, ears, and when she begins to speak I find that also her tongue is pierced. 

Her smile is bright and full of teeth as she looks up at me, a short woman. “Hello, you must be Naomi, sit here please.” She moves her hand to refer to the chair on the other side of the desk next to her own. I put my bag by my feet as I sit down, she holds another folder in her hands and I feel as though I will get a lot more of them by the end of this day. 

“Okay as you can see they are working on a project that is actually due next week, you will participate but it won’t be a grade on your part because you weren’t here for the lecture portion, instead you will be working on one side but you will be a designer for their visual points.” I nod my head but look at her a bit confused. 

“Excuse me but what exactly are they working on?”

Mrs. Noel rolls her eyes at herself. 

“My apologies, they are having a sort of group debate but only three people from each team will be a speaker, the others are helping with visual aid, scripts, studying, etcetera. It's a debate on who believes the Great Leap forward and the Revolution that followed it was great, or horrible for China's culture.” She turns her wheely chair to face the front of the room better. 

“Left is Good for China, Right is Bad for China, I had them tell me what side they were on and then put them on the opposite sides. This is a test to see how much you can fight for something you do not believe in.” I don’t know if I am concerned about the point she was trying to make with this project or simply don’t care, either way I’m already too deep to back out now.