꧁ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐 : 𝓜𝓮𝓵𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓗𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓽𝓼 ꧂

The bustling streets were alive with the hustle and bustle of the city's inhabitants going about their day

The bustling streets were alive with the hustle and bustle of the city's inhabitants going about their day. Amidst the sea of people, the symphony of sounds—chatter, laughter, car horns, and the occasional street musician's melody—created a vibrant atmosphere.

Xiao's focus wavered as the crowded surroundings seemed to heighten his concerns. His mind raced through potential scenarios—losing sight of you, accidents, kidnappings. His internal monologue became increasingly conflicted as he struggled to reconcile his protective instincts with the growing attachment he felt.

"Maintain composure. Stay focused."

A furrow formed between Xiao's brows, an indication of the turmoil within. Unseen by you, his face conveyed a battle of emotions. You noticed him occasionally, recognizing the internal struggle, and though the reason remained a mystery, his demeanor spoke volumes.

Above, the sun blazed, casting an intense heat over the already sweltering day. The city's energy remained palpable, despite the heat. Laughter and conversations intermingled, providing a backdrop to your progress through the streets.

"It's scorching out here..." An exhausted sigh escaped Xiao's lips, his hand moving to wipe the sweat from his forehead. The day's heat and the chaos of the streets seemed to take their toll on him, evident in his fatigued expression.

"Definitely. The heat is unbearable. I could use some ice cream right about now," you responded, mirroring his sentiment.

"Sure, a little something to cool off wouldn't hurt." Xiao's exhale held a sense of exhaustion, clearly affected by the weather and the city's activity.

"Great! I know a place nearby. Let's go!" Excitement colored your voice as the prospect of ice cream lifted your spirits.

"Her excitement is infectious... but this isn't a date. Don't let your guard down."

You both made your way to an ice cream shop, your eyes lighting up at the sight of the various flavors displayed before you. You leaned in, your hands pressed against the glass, your breath creating a fog as you examined the options.

"Her enthusiasm is quite endearing."

Xiao's attention was drawn to you, his gaze lingering on your animated expression. The spectacle before you seemed to captivate him, momentarily pulling him from his inner turmoil. "Mind if I get some vanilla?" he asked, his tone casual.

"Vanilla?" you repeat, your eyes scanning the menu, considering the classic flavor.

"Yeah. I'm not into anything too fancy. Vanilla's just simple."

"I actually find it adorable that he's going for something plain. It's refreshing." As you explore the menu further, your gaze fixates on the enticing description of the Belgian chocolate flavor. Its rich and indulgent allure captivates your attention. Xiao notices this as his eyes immediately shift over to you.

"Can I get the Belgian chocolate, please?" you inquired, your excitement palpable.

"Belgian chocolate... she seems really excited about this."

He approached the counter, placed the order, and eventually handed you your ice cream. As you received it, a spark of connection flashed in your shared moment.

"Thanks!" you expressed with a genuine smile, accepting the ice cream. The exchange felt natural, a simple act infused with warmth.

"You're welcome." Xiao's response carried a hint of bashfulness, his face tinted with a faint blush as he sat next to you at a nearby table.

"His blush... it's unexpected but oddly endearing."

As you took your first bite, savoring the flavors, you noticed Xiao stealing glances at you. His gaze seemed to hold a mix of curiosity and something else—something you couldn't quite decipher.

"Why is he looking at me like that? Is there something on my face?"

His gaze flicked away whenever your eyes met his, a clear sign that something was on his mind.

"His behavior is puzzling... it's like he's wrestling with something internally."

"Actually, this is really good!" you exclaimed, your delight evident.

"That smile... it's making my heart race. Is this normal? Focus, Xiao, focus."

"Can I try yours?" you playfully extended your ice cream toward him.

"What? She's offering me a bite? Is this... a way of getting closer?"

"Sure," he responded, slightly taken aback. Xiao accepted the ice cream, his fingers brushing against yours, igniting an unexpected spark.

"That was unintentional... but why did my heart skip a beat?"

You watched as he took a bite, his reaction suggesting that he enjoyed it.

"He looks good even when he's eating ice cream... wait, why am I thinking this?"

"Yeah, that's really good too," he admitted as his voice cracks a little.

"Did he just... voice crack? That's actually adorable."

"Haha..! What was with that voice crack!" The light-hearted moment brings a joyful atmosphere, breaking the tension and allowing both of you to revel in the shared amusement.

As you continue to laugh, you notice that Xiao's cheeks start to turn red. The combination of the lighthearted moment and the playfulness in the air seems to have brought a flush of embarrassment to his face.

"I-I d-didn't. Hmph.."

"Oh my god.. I'm literally a mess right now over one question.. Is this love?! Why am I like this?!"
With your ice cream finished, you turned your attention to the time, realizing that the event was approaching. "We should probably start getting ready," you suggested.

"Let's head home and prepare," Xiao starts walking ahead of you. He really hopes he won't make things awkward between the two of you. He just needs to be professional. Nothing more..

"His behavior is shifting... but in a way I can't quite grasp."

As you walked, a subtle tension settled between you, an air of uncertainty underlying your interaction. The upcoming event seemed to amplify this dynamic, creating a mix of emotions that neither of you could fully comprehend. The journey ahead appeared to be laden with both intrigue and complexity.

 The journey ahead appeared to be laden with both intrigue and complexity