023. haunted paintings

Sam and Miranda are sitting at a table in the bar while Dean is at the bar and talking to a woman. Sam is holding a newspaper and is motioning Dean over. Dean motions for him to wait while laughing at something the woman said.

Sam continues to gesture him over, Dean soon marching over.

"All right, I think we got something." Sam says as Dean puts three beers down.

"Oh, yeah, me, too." Dean says. "I think we need to take a little shore leave, just a little bit. What do you think, huh? I'm so in the door with this one." Dean says.

"So, what are we today, Dean? I mean, are we rock stars? Are we Army rangers?" Sam asks.

"Reality TV scouts looking for people with special skills." Dean grins. "I mean, hey, it's not that far off. What do you got?"

"Mark and Ann Telesca of New Paltz, New York were both found dead in their own home a few days ago." Sam informs. "Throats were slit. There were no prints, no murder weapons, all..." He notices Dean distracted by the woman at the bar. "Dean!" He looks back at Sam. "No prints, no murder weapons, all door and windows locked from the inside."

"Could just be a garden variety murder, you know, not our department." Dean says.

"No. Dad says different." Sam says.

"What do you mean?" Dean asks.

"Dad noted three murders in the same area of upstate New York. First one here in 1912, second one right here in 1945, and the third in 1970. The same M.O. as the Telescas. Their throats were slit, doors were locked from the inside. Now so much time had passed between murders that nobody checked the pattern, except dad. He kept his eyes peeled for another one."

"And now we got one. All right, I'm with ya. It's worth checking out. We can't pick this up till first thing, though, right?" Dean asks.

"Yeah." Sam nods.

"Good." Dean heads back to the bar.

"Dean--" Sam tries, but he's already gone. He scoffs and shakes his head watching Dean talk to the two women.

"Well, since he's gone all night, that means we have everything to ourselves." Miranda grins, leaning into Sam's face. She nudges her nose against his, Sam smiling a little before Miranda kisses him. Miranda rests her hands on his neck, deepening the kiss a little.

"Oh. Mm-hmm. Yep. Motel." Sam mumbles, quickly gathering all the research up while Miranda giggles.

+++

Sam and Miranda approach the Impala where Dean is slouched in the passenger seat and asleep. Sam leans into the driver's side and honks the horn causing Dean to jump awake.

The two laugh and get in the car while Dean adjusts his sunglasses, groaning.

"Man, that is so not cool." Dean grumbles.

"We just swept the Telescas with EMF -- it's clean. And last night, while you were... well... out." Sam says.

"Good times." Dean smirks.

"We checked the history of the house. Nothing strange about the Telescas." Sam says.

"All right, so if it's not the people and it's not the house, then maybe it's the contents. Cursed object or something." Dean says.

"The house is clean." Sam says.

"Yeah, I know, you said that." Dean says.

"No, I mean, it's empty. No furniture, nothing." Sam says.

"Where's all their stuff?" Dean asks.

+++

The three get to the auction house and walk around, very underdressed compared to everybody else. Dean takes some finger food from a tray.